Chapter 14: Just a Dream

Recap:

Heidi beckoned me over. Walking towards her I paused only to see if she was still angry. She met me halfway, and placed her hands on either side of my face. Before I could say anything, she clutched my temples and the world around me disappeared.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caddie's POV:

I've got to be dreaming.

Under normal circumstances I would have a tough time deciding what was real and fake in my dreams. My imagination takes me to world constructed with such vivid detail that I often believe it's a reality. However, there was no question that what I was seeing was a figment of my imagination. My mind was clearly a cruel masochist, and I was it's unfortunate victim.

I found myself standing in a blindingly white space. There were no walls or floors, I was simply suspended in midair. Everything seemed amplified, every little breath and heart beat seemed to get louder. I must have looked like a gawking idiot, flabbergasted as to why my brain would play such a cruel joke on me.

Standing before my tear filled gaze was an apparition. He looked just as he did the night he died. A seventeen year old boy who looked like a full grown man, dressed in a plain black tee and worn out jeans. His rugged beauty was not admired by many, but it warmed a small part of my heart every time I had seen him. My jaw hung open as I stared at the living, breathing version of my dead friend.

"Cam..." My voice was weak, and filled with sorrow.

His eyes latched onto mine. The amber glow of his eyes were filled with a familiar warmth I missed. A wide toothy grin graced his face as he walked towards me. There was a light blush on his cheeks; it almost seemed as if he had real blood running through his veins.

"Caddie! I can't believe it worked!" He cheered excitedly as he reached me.

Before I was able to respond he picked me up and swung me around. A gasp escaped my lips as my feet left the ground. I clutched his solid biceps, feeling the soft texture of his skin. It seemed so real, I whimpered in my head. He pulled my against his chest, the gentle pounding of his heart lulled me into a numb state of mind. All I could think about was how warm he was. I had to give my mind props for creating such a believable image, but it wasn't real. The last time I saw him he was cold and dead, nothing more than a rotted skeleton.

"I've missed you," Cam whispered, almost as if he couldn't trust his voice.

I lifted my face away from his chest and started into his heated amber eyes. Why did you have to do this to me brain? Was it because I was finally moving on? Because I had finally regained my strength? It was bad enough that I had spent weeks being powerless but now o was rendered to the cruel emotions of my heart.

"I-I've missed you too," I croaked out.

There was no point in lying to mind. I missed him horribly, but it was time to wake up. There were so many thing that I needed to focus on. He wasn't one of those things anymore, I painfully reminded myself. I gave his amber glowing eyes one last look before I closed my eyes and tried to shake myself free from the dream.

"Caddie no!" He boomed.

I opened my eyes and stared at him warily. I needed to wake up, couldn't he see how much it tortured me? I bit my lip at the agonized look that filtered onto his face.