Chapter 3: Familar Faces

Caddie's POV:

We raced down the grand staircase and came to a sudden halt when we saw the mass of students that stood below us. The student body was a staggering number of 15,000 and it was extremely overwhelming. The students chattered excitedly, and filled the atmosphere with magic. I felt my breath still as I watched the magical creatures interact with each other. Some greeted each other in mundane ways whereas the others tried to show off their magical capabilities.

"Let's join the crowd before the council members come," Alix whispered in my ear, pulling me out of my trance-like state.

We pushed through the group of students until I stopped at the back wall. Most of the students were compacted as close to the stairs as possible; each of them were excited to see the council members. I fought the urge to roll my eyes, it was hard to remember that the council members were royalty when I would become one eventually. After a few more minutes of waiting six figure appeared at the top of the stairs.

They looked powerful in their modern styled business suits and conservative black dresses. My aunt, the Dark Witch, and Maddox's mom, the Mind Manipulator, had their pulled tightly away from their stoic features. The men looked very similar and serious as well, the only difference was the age gaps. The HeadMinister, was almost seventy years old, his white hair contrasted nicely against his dark skin tone. In the crevices of his wrinkles you could practically see the sweat and blood he poured into maintaining control over the magical universe. Ryder's father stood beside him with his lips pressed into firm line, but it was evident that he was trying to suppress a smile. He looked just like his son, both of them had curly blond hair, mischievous blue eyes and sun-kissed skin. Even though the Alpha Warrior was almost forty he was still very attractive.

Mira's father stood on the other side of The HeadMinister, he was the exact opposite of the Alpha warrior. The Beta Warrior looked angered and snooty, his head was tilted upwards in a cocky demeanor and he refused to look at any of us for too long. His hair was dark and already graying at the sides. The last man held my attention for the longest, he was definitely one of the most gorgeous men in the world. He had dark brown hair that was pulled into a loose ponytail, his goatee and mustache was perfectly groomed. His chiseled features did not show any evidence of his age, his skin glowed as if he was still in his youth. The best part was mesmerizing blue eyes, there was no question whose parent he was once I looked in them. He was the Heart Curator, and he had stolen just about every girl's heart by breathing.

"Damn that family has good genes," Alix said, staring appreciatively at Mr. Volkov.

I chuckled softly and looked away from the intimidating figures. In four more years that will be you, a voice whispered in the back of my head. I didn't like that voice, it reminded that magic was all fun and games. Heidi had told me multiple times that I need to be responsible with my powers, it wouldn't be a pretty sight if I ever slipped up. In that moment I empathized with Spider-Man. 

"Welcome Students," The HeadMinister's deep voice rumbled throughout the room. The chatter immediately died down until everyone became eerily silent. The HeadMinister's lip curled upwards at the students' obedient behavior.

"We are honored to have all of you attending Nox Haven this year. We expect nothing less than perfection from our students." I bristled at his words, perfect wasn't really my thing. In fact my entire existence strived to be the exact opposite.

"This sounds like the same speech they gave last year," an amused voice whispered beside me.

I flinched in surprise, but my features transformed into elation as I saw Ryder standing beside me. He looked the same as he did three months ago. His golden locks were tousled messily on top of his head, his light blue eyes had mischievous glint in them, he would have been described as the 'boy next door type' if it wasn't for his impressive sized muscles. He wore a plain white t-shirt and simple blue jeans that showed off his physique. He caught me staring and smirked. Instead of being embarrassed I smacked his chest playfully and rolled my eyes.