Chapter 19: Surprise Attack

Recap:

"No," she moaned and convulsed on the carpet, "Don't do it Caddie. Don't listen to them!"

"Does she mean us?" Kimone peaked at Alix.

Kneeling to her side I tried to wake her up. "She's having a vision," I looked to Aleksander and asked, "Can you wake her up now?"

Aleksander nodded. Alix began to arouse when a knock sounded on the window. We glanced at each other warily. Who would knock on a window? Deciding it must have been a bird I turned my attention back to Alix. Then someone knocked again. A shiver ran down my spine as a chilling breeze swept through the room. Loose papers- that laid on the floor after somebody had broken the table- tumbled across the hardwood floor. Nobody spoke, blinked, or breathed as we waited for another knock. This time it sounded more impatient. Three taps sounded on the window glass but I couldn't see a person outside.

"Can someone open the window it's probably a staff member," Mira ordered.

"W-We're on the fifth floor who would be outside?" Kimone trembled in Maddox's arms.

"Maybe they're cleaning the windows," Aleksander offered.

Alix groaned as I lifted her body off of my lap and slipped over to the window. I looked around to see if anybody was outside, but I was met with the sight of a never ending forest and gray skies. Just as I had turned my back on the Windows another tap sounded. Cautiously I unlocked the latch on the window, and cracked it open.

All of the sudden Alix pushed me to the ground and screamed, "No!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caddie's POV:

Maybe I'm cursed, I told myself, my luck is so bad because I was cursed as a baby. That didn't sound implausible. And, I think, if I tried really hard I could have convinced myself that it was true. But I couldn't keep my eyes closed forever, I knew eventually I would have to open them and understand that the chaos around me was my fault. It was my fault and I needed to fix it.

Blood curdling screams and the sound of shattering glass rang in my ears. A solid body laid on top of me, preventing me from getting up. When I saw strands of her red hair hanging in front of my face, I knew who was stupid enough to save me.

"Alix get off of me," I growled.

Grunting, she slowly rolled off of me but not before taking a quick look at our surroundings. I could still hear cries of pain and furniture being decimated, but the lounge was completely empty. Traces of blood were stained into the carpet, my anger soared when I realized what was happening. The Dark Ones are here, and they came to kill us. I ran out of the lounge with Alix on my heels, following the sound of distant screams.

Jagged pieces of wood and glass littered the hallways. Most of the light fixtures had blown out do to the enormous amount of black magic confined in one space. Flicking my wrist I created a small flame to illuminate the hallway.

I had no idea where we were going. Earlier, when the old woman had given me the tour I was too absorbed in my mother's life story to pay attention to the castle. All the halls looked identical to one another. I felt as if we were walking in circles.

"Caddie where are we going?" Alix whispered frantically as we turned down another empty hall.

"I don't know," I mumbled under my breath.