Chapter 2: Home Sweet Home

Recap:

She stopped walking and her mood shifted. She gave me an odd look before smoothing it over with a tight smile. She tried to force her emotions down but I could tell she was hiding something from me. Alix never suppressed her feelings around me, including her attraction, so I was confused as to why she would keep something from me. We were best friends, best friends told each other everything. Didn't they? I was about to question her odd behavior when I heard a familiar Russian voice call my name from the other side of the room.
***********************************

Caddie's POV:

"Caddie!" Dmitri yelled and ran up to me.

He engulfed me in a large bear hug and swung me around. I giggled and then forced him to put me down. I looked up at his beautiful face and gave him a wide smile. Dmitri was very attractive, he had perfectly chiseled features, blue eyes, and tousled light brown hair. He wore a pristine white collared shirt and a pair of well fitted Khakis. The first few buttons of his collared shirt unbuttoned, giving the girls a glimpse of his toned body. Yes, Dmitri was hot but he was nothing compared to his twin brother.

"Dmitri, how was your summer?" I asked with a laugh.

"It was torturous. I missed you," he said bluntly.

I laughed again, over the summer I didn't really think about Dmitri too much. Sometimes I could stand him as a friend, other times I wanted take away his ability to speak. Unfortunately I haven't perfected that skill, but it would be very useful in a world filled with people that speak before thinking. Alix sighed loudly and gave us an aggravated look.

"I'm going to be in our room. Have fun catching up," she said curtly.

My suspicion returned as I wondered what could possibly be putting her in such a bad mood. I decided to let it go and turned back to Dmitri. He was staring down at me with a weird expression on his face. Unlike Alix, Dmitri was very good at suppressing his feelings, it made my stomach feel uneasy. How could I ever trust somebody if they're not comfortable with their own emotions?

"So why was your summer 'torturous'," I put air quotes around the last word.

He shrugged and put his hands in his pockets,"My brother got out of the hospital and I thought he would change, but he seems like the same guy from before."

My heart broke a little when he said that. Last year when Dmitri was able to reveal who he truly was I noticed a big change in his personality; he wasn't as cocky or obnoxious. When I asked him why he changed he said that he didn't, that was just how his brother would have acted. While Aleksander was in the hospital I was able to collect some information about his past life. I didn't like any of it; he was rude, cocky, and the biggest flirt out of all of the warlocks. I don't why I expected him to be any different though, he was the Heart Curator, it was his job to play around with other people's feelings.

"I'm sure that's not true. He's probably a good person." Dmitri gave me a doubtful look, he knew I didn't even believe what I was saying. I sighed and took a step away from him. Dmitri wasn't really a bad guy, I might have continued to like him last year if something about him didn't seem off. I didn't know what was about him but I felt like he was always putting on a disguise.

"I should go up to my room and unpack . I'll see you at orientation," I told him and ran off to find my room.

My fingers trailed the golden railing of the main staircase as I ran up the marble steps. The steps were slightly sloped from being walked over the past four centuries, my heart fluttered with pride once I realized that I was now an important part of history. I was no longer a shy, insignificant girl from Virginia and I was glad. Before I came to Nox Haven I was barely surviving, now I was thriving. I refused to let anything from the past interfere with the present, it was time to let go of the pain. Everything should be fine, unless something from Nox Haven causes me more trouble. Not something but someone, my conscience told me.