Chapter 31: Dinner Deals

Bob above---------------------------->

**Comment here and tell me who you believe the Dark One is!!**

RECAP:

Another breeze swept through the entry hall. Before anybody could speak, breath or even think Bob had disappeared from the alcove. Our eyes darted from side to side until we heard the iron doors shut. The unpleasant noise of a rusty deadbolt sliding into place echoed throughout the stone building. My nerves were set on fire as when I faintly registered that we were now trapped in the lion's den.

"Thank you for coming," Bob's accent seemed to get thicker as a new feeling overpowered the others. Thirst. "We were just about to eat. Would you like to join us?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caddie's POV:

Nobody wanted to go to lunch.

It almost seemed as if there was a sinister message hiding in his words. Perhaps I was just paranoid, but it sounded as if we weren't being invited to sit and eat a meal. It sounded as if we were going to be the meal.

"If you have company over then we wouldn't want to intrude," Mira tried to seem like a sophisticated young heir but everyone could sense her anxiety.

None of us needed to be an empath to notice her physical signs of fear. Bob was bound to hear the way her heart thudded in her chest like a jack hammer. Or the way she was sweating like a dog in heat.

"Nonsense," Bob chuckled, "We were anticipating your arrival. Dmitri Volkov had told us that he would be arriving with Miss Böse today- but I'm glad the entire group could join us!"

"Speaking of Mr. Dmitri Volkov, where is he?"

An uneasy silence settled between us, nobody dared to answer. Aleksander shifted towards me as reminder of his dead brother brutally tore apart his heart. I wish I could have alleviated his pain- but that wasn't my purpose in life. It was my job to create pain and eventually Aleksander would have to remember that.

"Ah, I see," Bob stated without compassion. He then focused his attention on Aleksander. "Losing those we love can be very hard. But from what I see Miss Böse is more than willing to help move past the death of your brother."

My eyes widened when I heard his hidden message. No, I was most certainly not willing to help him in any manner that wasn't cordial. Ryder and Maddox were both willing to speak up on my behalf. They chastised Bob for making an inappropriate remark and Ryder even threw in a threat at the end. I thought they were being a tad too protective but I wasn't about to stop him.

Bob cleared his throat when the boy's rant started to become long winded. "I will promise to refrain from making any innuendos about Caddie and Mr. Volkov's glaringly obvious budding relationship, if, you would be so kind as to join me to lunch. I do believe we have business to discuss."

I agreed hastily before Ryder could add his two cents again. That boy needed to be muzzled! We walked down the narrow hallways in groups of two, with Bob leading the pack. Aleksander didn't leave my side much to Mira and Alix's extreme displeasure. I knew we were going to have to talk some time soon. We couldn't continue on as if the past wasn't plagued with our confusing and painful history.

Torches lined the stone walls, barely illuminating Bob's dark silhouette. He had a rather intimidating figure even thought he wasn't incredibly buff like Ryder he still had a tall sinewy body. His vampire strength must have made him an excellent fighter, I noted. The longer I thought about the mysterious vampire the more I wanted to know about him. I knew he was 200 years-old and Spanish but I didn't know anything else. I didn't even know how he became a vampire and yet I was trusting him to not kill me or my friends.