Chapter 23: Best Friends ForNever

Caddie's POV:

How could I possibly sleep in the same room my crazy mother slept before she died? My aunt was acting absolutely insane. She made it seem as if I was the bad guy. I may have incinerated half of the castle but I saved my friend. And if Alix were in trouble again I would do everything in my power to save her. After last year, Alix showed me what a real friend was. A real friend is loyal even in life and death situations. She and Cam were the only ones who had shown me that kind of loyalty. And now, Alix was the only one I had left. 

Walking over to the steel door, I placed my hands on the cool metal and tried to recreate the magic Heidi used on the wardrobe. Sparks flew wildly from my fingertips but the door looked untouched. I pressed harder against the door and gritted my teeth. A loud boom resonated from deep within the metal. Surprised, by the loud sound I fell to the floor and cracked my head against the hardwood.

"Ugh," I groaned.

Gripping the back of my sore head, I slowly sat up. I was starting to see multiple steel doors as blood rushed back to my brain. That was one stubborn door, I grumbled in my head. The searing pain in the back of head was ignored as I prepared for my second attack. Myriads of sparks exploded from my fists as I attempted to blow a whole into the metal.

When the smoke cleared I was infuriated to see that the only evidence of my attack were the black scorch marks against the shiny silver metal. Narrowing my eyes, I looked at the door the same way a charging bull would look at a torero. This door will not continue to stand, I vowed. I was preparing myself to conjure a black flaming ball of fire when the door started to creak open.

"Yes!" I cheered.

Finally, my efforts to free myself from the wretched prison had paid off. The gloom that lingered in the shadows would no longer haunt. I would have preferred to room with Murphy then the spirit of my mother. Murphy, the blood-thirsty dragon, had probably killed less than she had.

When the rest of the door swung open my celebration was cut short. Alix stood on the other side of the door, looking more disgruntled than I had ever seen her in my life. Eyeliner and mascara created raccoon circles around her eyes. Her red hair was pulled into a messy bun, loose strands of hair slipped out of the hair band and framed her face. Alix looked so different in a tank top and sweatpants, she almost looked like me. It was unnerving to say the least.

"It sounded like you were setting a bomb off in here!" She grumbled and stomped one bunny slipper.

"I was trying to escape," I told her but didn't deny her statement about the bomb. My powers were ten times as lethal as any bomb.

Alix gave me a doubtful look. She looked as if she was speaking to a child when she said, "Caddie, the door was unlocked."

Embarrassment and shame twisted in my stomach as I looked at the evil door. I never did check the door handle, it just seemed as if Heidi had locked me in the room like she did with my mom. But your not like your, my subconscious whispered, Heidi's just trying to scare you into submission. She's knows the repercussions of what will happen if you abandon all reason.

"What normal person checks the door," I scoffed and looked away from her accusing stare.

"What normal person tries to blow a door up?" She threw her arms into the air.

I had an urge to step away from Alix when her aggravation rose to a new level. She looked like she would have blew something up if it were in her power. Alix had always been a grumpy person when she was tired but there was a new underlying feeling of stress in her emotional makeup. Emotional makeup was a term a came up with one day in class. The longer I was around a certain person the more acquainted I was with their emotions. Some people, feel certain emotions more potently than others. Like depressed people, usually feel hollow and sad. Whereas girls like Mava are a ball of energy and excitement. I swore to god Mava had Monster pumping through her veins. Alix tends to feel a bit superior because of her power and good looks but she has a heart made of gold. It was one of the things that attracted me too my best friend, she was such a genuine person. But lately, her emotions had been a jumbled mess of fear and stress.