Chapter 30: Into the Lair

Recap:

My breath was caught in my chest. Did he really think so highly of me? For the past two years I had tolerated Dmitri's existence, barely considering him a friend- and yet he spoke of me as if I were a goddess. The urge to break down and cry hysterically became overwhelming. Dmitri's hand slipped out of Aleksander's as light in his eyes began to fade.

I stared at the other heirs and Alix. My voice was void of all emotion as I vowed, "We're going to kill this witch or warlock and we're going to set things right. It's time to show him who the real Dark One is."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caddie's POV:

Nobody spoke.

We were all too overcome with grief to say a single word.

After murmuring our final goodbyes to Dmitri we shuffled our ways through the smog covered streets of Prague. Luckily, Murphy didn't go anywhere. Like a dutiful dragon he waited beside the Macdonalds parking lot. I couldn't be sure that he didn't eat anyone though, he had been feeling incredibly guilty ever since we returned. Alix was the only one in our group who could preform simple spells so she made him visible again.

Climbing onto Murphy's back, we sat in a huddled group- not caring if anyone saw us.We had a lot of things to think about. But making sure there wasn't anybody watching us wasn't one of them.

The others were trying to fight past the shock of losing a friend but every time they tried to feel anything beside numbness- they couldn't. Even Alix, who couldn't give a damn about anyone  besides me, felt particularly guilty and shocked. For some strange reason I didn't blame her for his death. I didn't even blame myself. I only blamed the person who started the whole mess. He or she was going to have to learn the hard way that taking the lives of innocent people was not okay.

As the rising sun began to settle above the trees, I felt a hand clasp my own. My pulse hammered in my chest as static electricity shot through my veins. Aleksander and I were the only ones who felt the same. We weren't numb or even sad. We were feeling absolutely murderous.

I could practically feel our magic fusing together as we fed off of each other's anger. We had finally found our breaking point. And a small part of me was glad. Between losing Dmitri, Cam and finding out that my friendship with Alix was a rouse- I began to feel very lonely.

"We should be approaching the Romanian border soon," Alix murmured sleepily.

I nodded but didn't offer her anything else. She looked as if she wanted to say something but thought better of it. Good, I thought to myself, because now is definitely not the time for high school drama. We could scream at each other until we were blue in the face another time. At the current moment I had to strategize a plan.

Dmitri trusted the vampire gang leader but I had many qualms about the situation. Before I came to Nox Haven I never would have trusted a regular gang leader. So why would I trust a vampire one?

We flew for what seemed like hours. I continued to plot and plan. Alix spoke once when she saw a vision of all of us being slewed. Maddox offered his input a few times as I continued to stress over the details. I found both of their suggestions helpful but the person who was helping me the most was Aleksander. While holding my hand tightly, he kept my anxiety in check. If it weren't for him I would have had a mental breakdown.