Chapter 24: Suspicious Evidence

Recap:

"I am your friend Caddie," she pleaded, "We're best friends."

I shook my head. That was just another lie. I wouldn't be surprised if my aunt put it in her job description. All she had to do was keep me safe and happy, in return my aunt wouldn't kill her. Yeah, I thought sarcastically, that's a great friendship. 

"Save your breath," I hissed, "You don't need to pretend anymore."

The room dissolved into darkness. I could faintly hear Alix call my name but I was not returning. There was a whole half of a castle left, I was positive there was another free room. A free room that had nothing to do with my mom or my bodyguard. My sight was blurred with tears when I landed on a new floor. Wiping myself free of the traitorous tears, I put the past behind me. I was an heir, in the middle of a war. I didn't have time to cry. Instead, I needed to put all of my pent up aggression towards finding the traitor. Everything will be fine, I told myself. And for a moment I almost believed that was true until a creaking noise sounded behind me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caddie's POV:

In the shadows stood a man I had reluctantly grown to know. He was an odd ally. I seldom referred to him as a friend and yet he had been a constant appearance in my life. With his chiseled features, sparkling blue eye and perfectly styled brown hair- Dmitri Volkov was every girl's dream. Unless you were a witch, than you knew his brother was the perfect specimen. And even though the Volkov brother's invoked two drastically different feelings inside of me, they did have one thing in common. I didn't trust them.

"Would you mind telling me what you're doing up at this hour?" Dmitri yawned. His accent seemed to get thicker when he was tired.

"I was looking for a place to sleep," I responded quickly.

"And out of two hundred rooms, you chose mine?"

Pale moonlight streamed through the windows. I could see the shadowy outline of his well-sculpted naked torso, leaning against the bed frame. Gritting my teeth when I saw the outline of his lips quirk into a smirk; I reminded myself that popping into Dmitri's room was better than appearing in Aleksander's. Dmitri's arrogance was mild compared to his brother's.

"It was a mistake," I answered curtly, "And now I'll be leaving."

"Wait!" He called out.

I watched in horror as Dmitri shuffled out of his bed, his body was only dressed in a pair of white boxers. Silently I thanked the darkness for concealing my scarlet blush. I didn't think that Dmitri would make fun of me like his brother would. But I would still be embarrassed if he knew of my awareness to his nearly naked body.

"What?" I hissed, trying to will my blush away.

With a simple snap of his fingers the lights turned on. My blush only intensified when I saw every detail of his defined v-line and rippling pectorals. Throwing my hand over my eyes, like a two year old, I desperately wished that I had the power to make clothing appear out of thin air. My powers, though useful in war, were incredibly inconvenient for the moment. Any normal witch could hold out their hands and an outfit would appear. I, on the other hand, could only turn him into a pile of ash. Which would have been less embarrassing to look at...

"Something's got to be wrong if you're ogling my body and not my brother's," the words sounded like a joke but his tone wasn't teasing.