Chapter 5

"And then, when they opened the door, and creeped inside, the phone was there, but the man was gone!"

Everyone nods their approval at Kim's scary story, while I sit there, unimpressed.

Kim shoulders drop as her and the girls looks at me. "You still weren't scared?"

I shake my head. "I'm sorry girls, but it takes a lot more than that. I've been around the guys for forever, so believe me when I say I've heard it all." Their attempts at a scary story had all failed to scare me, but they did give me a good birthday laugh.

It was fun for me to go out and spend time with them by combining my birthday and my bachelorette party.

Knowing that my wedding was right around the corner made me anxious, but I know that everything should go smoothly.

I stand up and yawn, stretching my arms above my head. "I'm gonna head to sleep guys."

"Aw, are you sure you don't want another drink," Nikki asks me, swirling her wine glass around.

I laugh. "Yeah, I'm sure. You guys have fun without me."

"Alright, we will. Happy birthday Asher," Eden tells me, and the others proceed to tell me the same thing.

"Thank you. And thanks for throwing this party for me." I was more grateful for them than I knew how to express.

"That's what friends are for," Charlotte says with a big smile.

I smile and give them a small wave, then turn to head to my room in the cabin, when all the lights cut off.

A sigh escapes my moth and I turn back to the girls with a smirk that they can't see. "Very funny. Do you think that is going to scare me?"

I can't see their faces, but I hear Brie answer. "Asher, t-that wasn't us."

"Yeah, and I don't have power hungry parents," I say with a laugh. "Whatever. I'm still going to sleep."

The sound of glass shattering comes from one of the rooms.

"Okay, I don't know what's happening," Kim says in a panicked tone. "But I promise we have nothing to do with this."

Still not believing them, I pull my iPhone out of my pocket and turn on the flashlight, taking in all of the girls faces. Their scared reactions seem to look sincere, so I decide to play along. "I'll just go check out the noise."

Nikki stands up and hurries over to me, wrapping her hand around my arm. "I don't think that's a good idea. We should all stick together."

I chuckle. "Nikki, this isn't some horror movie, okay? We're fine. It was probably nothing." I get out of her grip, and start walking towards the rooms.

"Be careful," Eden yells after me.

I shake my head with a smile and continue walking. Those girls seriously deserve an Oscar.

When I get to the room that I was sleeping in, I notice a shattered vase on the ground.

"Must have been too close to the edge," I mumble to myself and turn and leave to go find a broom.

"Everyone calm down, it was just a . . ." I stop in my tracks. The girls were all gone from their spots. "You guys." I use the flashlight to look around the room. I don't see or hear anything. "Okay, this isn't funny at all, and it's not going to work. You won't scare me."

I go back into the room and slide on my boots, prepared to see if they were standing outside the cabin door.

Yeah, I know. In a typical horror movie, you never go outside in the dark. But this was not a horror movie. Far from it.