Chapter 12

Tuesday: 25 Days Until The Wedding

Seth gets out of the car to come open my door for me, but I click the lock as soon as he reaches for the handle. When he gives it a pull and sees that it won't open, his eyes meet mine through the window, annoyance flashing through them at my somewhat petulant behavior. "Come on, Ash, really? You said we wouldn't have a problem." He pulls at the handle again. "It's just a regular check-up, open the door."

I bring a hand to my ear, pretending I can't hear him. After booking this impromptu appointment, I just wanted to give him a hard time. Besides, I didn't need this appointment anyway.

He sighs, and turns his back to me, leaning against the side of the hood. I watch as he pulls out his phone and does some typing. "Well, if you don't come out, I guess that means we won't be able to go and enjoy one of these beauties." He shows me a picture on his phone.

" He shows me a picture on his phone

Cheesecake.

From The Cheesecake Factory.

He knows my weakness.

I unlock the door and reluctantly get out of the car. Seth has a knowing smirk on his face, placing his phone back into his pocket. "I knew that would get you to come out. Cheesecake is the quickest way to your soul." He motions for me to go before him.

I start walking, pointing a finger his way. "I'm only doing this for the cheesecake."

He chuckles. "It'll be over before you know it."

- - - - -

I kick my feet back and forth and twiddle my thumbs, anxious for the doctor's results. She had asked Seth to wait outside in the waiting room so she could give me my results in confidence, and he had agreed, but now I wish he were in here.

I had no one to talk to, and being patient was hard.

Luckily, the doctor walks in a couple minutes later, a smile on her face.

"What's the word, Dr. Scofield? And if you don't mind can I get a lollipop, because I think I was a really good girl."

She smiles, taking a seat on her stool and flipping through her clipboard. "Well, Asher, all of your tests are pretty good."

I hop down from the examination table clapping my hands together. Time for cheesecake.

"Except," she continues. "I'm not liking how high your blood pressure is." She stops flipping and looks at me. "It's not normal for a person your age. Have you been under any stress lately?"

Oh, boy. Have I? Understatement of the year.

"I'm planning my wedding, so it's probably that. So many calls you have to make, places to book. Talk about stressful."

She nods in understanding. "Well, I'm certainly not going to discourage you from planning your wedding, but if I could suggest maybe sitting down to take a few deep breaths at a time? Try not to overload yourself with too much. It could really help your stress levels."