Chapter 14

Thursday: 23 Days Until The Wedding

When I make it back to my suite later in the morning after pulling an all-nighter with Randy, I'm surprised to find the door unlocked.

I open it to the smell of freshly cooked pancakes flooding my nostrils. As I close the door behind me and move further into the room, I see Seth, dressed for a work out and with his hair in a man bun, at the kitchen counter by the oven, his back to me. "Hey, Ash."

"Hey," I speak, a little drained from no sleep. "I'm sorry about leaving without a note. I was with R--"

"Randy, I know. He sent me a text that I saw when I woke up this morning," he still answers with his back to me. "I figured the nightmare had you a little shaken up, so I understand. Why don't you take a seat? I made you breakfast."

I move to sit down at the island in the small kitchen. Seth turns around with a plate of pancakes, topped with whipped cream and strawberries. "The whipped cream is sugar-free," he explains as he places the food down in front of me. "You can't even tell the difference."

I smile weakly. "This looks great, Seth. Thank you. But I'm not hungry."

That takes him by surprise.

"Are you sick?" He puts a hand to my forehead. "You don't feel hot."

I remove his hand from my face. "I'm fine. I meant, I'm not hungry right now."

"You're serious?"

I nod just as a phone starts ringing from somewhere.

"I'll get it," Seth says, bolting into the bedroom.

I turn my attention to my pancakes. They sit there mocking me with how delicious they look, the whipped cream slowly melting from the heat of the them. I push them away from me into the middle of the island.

"Alright, cool." Seth comes back into the kitchen with my phone against his ear. "I'm heading out for a jog, so you can keep Asher company." He glances my way, and then turns his back to me. "I think she might be sick," he tries to whispers into the speaker.

"I'm not sick, Seth. Stop spreading lies to whoever that is."

"Okay. See you in a bit." He turns back around, hanging up. "It was Brie. She says she's on her way up." He places my phone down, and takes a seat beside me. I watch as he uses his hand to drag my plate back to me. "They're gonna get cold."

"Then you can just take me to IHOP and buy me a mountain of chocolate chip ones."

He laughs with a nod. "There's the Asher I know."

"Come in," Seth answers when there's a knock at the door. Brie is in front of us a few seconds later.

"How are you feeling, Asher," she asks as soon as she puts her purse down on the couch.

I shoot Seth a glare. "I'm fine. I don't know why my fiancé would spread such rumors."

"Only looking out for you." He slides off of his stool. "I'm gonna jog around a few blocks, but I'll be back in no time." He places a hand on my shoulder and leans in to kiss me quickly. "Enjoy this second batch of perfectly prepared pancakes, please, and my added use of alliteration." He winks at me and turns on his heels to leave.

"Second? What happened to the first," I ask after he has disappeared around the corner.

He peeks his head back around it. "I burnt them, alright. I'm only human." I smile, and he leaves once more. I wait for the door to open and close again before turning to Brie.