Chapter 27

Friday: 1 Day Until The Wedding

When I wake up in the morning, I don't remember falling asleep last night. I never went back out to the buffet, instead sitting up in bed with my cocktail dress still on, waiting for Seth to return. I guess my body couldn't wait as long as I hoped and crashed.

I actually expect to see Seth asleep beside me, but as I roll over, he's nowhere to be found. I have no idea where he is and it's torture.

My eyes are red and puffy, and the bags under them are evident. I didn't want to cry last night, but I couldn't find any other way to respond.

How else can you react when your world comes crashing down right in front of you?

Anger instead of sadness comes to mind, but the only person I have to be angry with is myself.

I had opportunity after opportunity to tell Seth the truth. Multiple people warned me, but I refused to listen.

This is the result.

There's a knock on the door and I bolt out of bed, my gut feeling telling me it's Seth. Maybe he's had a change of heart and wants to talk things through.

When I yank open the door, my shoulders slump in defeat at Stone standing on the other side. He takes in my look, immediately knowing something is wrong.

"Asher, what happened?" He takes it upon himself to enter the room. I close the door behind him. "You look," he stops, not sure what to say, opting to grab my face to inspect it. I shrug away from his touch.

"Please. Don't touch me," my voice cracks, barely above a whisper. I feel as though I might cry again, but I don't want to in front of Stone. Especially when he doesn't know half of what's going on.

"Okay," Stone says slowly, glancing around the suite. "Where's Seth?" I don't answer him, turning on my heel and walking to the couch. "Asher? Is Seth here?"

"He's gone, Stone," I snap, plopping down on the couch and staring at one of the paintings on the wall. It's a combination of something black and dreary, which is perfect for my mood right now.

It's dark and I feel empty inside.

"What do you mean 'gone'?" He strides over to where I sit, kneeling down to get a better look at me. "As in, he left for good? No letter, no note?"

"No," I groan, putting my face in my hands. "There's nothing, and I don't know if he's coming back and it's all my fault." I sniffle, wiping a tear that slips out of my left eye.

"Smoke, don't cry." I don't dare look at him, but I know he probably holds a stare of pity, as I more than likely resemble a girl that got dumped on prom night. Dripping mascara and all. "I'm sure Seth will come back. He has to, right? The rehearsal is tonight."

I had completely forgotten about that. I give a shrug. "As Grandpa always says, 'the show must go on'. I can't cancel the rehearsal because of a runaway groom, no matter how pathetic I'll look during it."