Chapter 10

Because I didn't check the PPV schedule for 2016, I'm just now seeing that May 1st (which is the date in this story) is Payback. So, let us just pretend that the Women's Champ (Yes, I have to roll with the changes) and World Heavyweight Champ have that night off. Unlikely, but I promise not to mess up something this big again.

Sunday: 27 Days Until The Wedding

"I am so glad you asked, because I had been meaning to give this to you earlier." Mom pulls out a stool and climbs it so she can reach the top of the closet to find my "something old".

I look around her and Dad's room, nostalgia coming back to me. I miss this house. I miss Greenwich.

Davenport, Iowa is nice, but Connecticut is where my heart will always lie.

Mom steps back down, talking as she does. "It needs a little polishing. I've got some, and I'll give it to you after dinner." She turns around with a black case in her hand and motions for us to sit on the bed. She slowly places it in my hands.

When I open it, my mouth drops slightly in shock at the beautiful gold and blue tiara that rests in the case.

"It was your Great Grandma Juanita's," my mother tells me with a smile of pride. "Any event that required her to wear a dress, she wore that tiara with it. She would always tell me: 'Stephanie, my dear, you are what you present yourself to be.' She presented herself as a queen, and so she was."

Great Grandma Juanita was my great grandfather's second wife, and only family by marriage, but she was the only Great Grandmother I had ever known. She died when I was 6, and I didn't remember much about her, but from what I did, she was always loving and kind to everyone she met. "Mom, this is amazing, thank you so much." I pull her into a hug.

"You're welcome, sweetheart." When she releases me, she grips my shoulders, smiling. "You're going to look so beautiful walking down that aisle. I'm so happy for you and Seth."

"Thanks, Mom." I run my thumb over the tiara, feeling like I shouldn't be wearing this.

"Asher, what is it?" That was my mom. She could always sense when things were off. Mother's intuition, no doubt.

 Mother's intuition, no doubt