A free lesson on growing up.

"A free lesson on growing up, never trust anyone to the point where your backs exposed." Show em' the ropes was playing on my phone. Jeremy gave me the link for the song yesterday on the ride back from the Keys.

The vacation was fun I guess. It lasted three days and I got to meet his family. His cousins were just like all the other common white boys, however they weren't annoying as fuck.

I was brushing my teeth listening to music and getting ready for school. I felt my phone vibrate against the sink and I saw that I had a text from Jeremy.

"Hey." It said.

"Hey."

"Kevin is giving us a ride if you want one." He said.

"Ok I'll be ready in like twenty minutes."

"Ok see you then."

I put on a shirt and went downstairs. My dad had left for work but my mom was sitting at the table typing something up.

"Good morning." She said.

"Good morning."

"Did you want me to make you breakfast?" She asked.

"No I'll be fine with just a pop tart." I grabbed one from the drawer and ate it while packing up my stuff for the day. I felt my phone vibrate again. It was Jeremy.

"Hey well be there in 5."

"K."

I put my bag around my shoulder, grabbed a water bottle and headed out my front door. Opened the gate and waited on the curb for Jeremy to arrive.

He arrived like two minutes later and I hopped in the back seat. It was me, Jeremy and Kevin.

"Good morning Cassidy." Kevin said.

"Good morning."

"Did you finish the art project?" He asked.

"Yeah I turned it in on Thursday. I should get an A even though I didn't try what so ever."

"I have mine in my locker I was just gonna give it to her during sixth period."

"Why does it have to be a Monday again?" I asked.

"Cause life sucks." Jeremy said.

"True."

We drove into the school parking lot and got out of the van. A ton of people were staring at us and it was really getting uncomfortable. The rumor started like three weeks ago. It's time for people to move on, everyone here has a small brain to begin with. Rumors never last this long.

I walked into the building, went to my locker and went to homeroom where I was the first person to arrive. Shortly after Violet and one of her friends walked into the room. And after that was Jeremy.

"What's up?" I asked as he sat down.

"Nothing much just stressing out cause I never studied for the quiz in this class." He said.

"Yeah me either but it shouldn't be that hard."

People filled the room as the bell rang and I waited quietly in my seat for first period to start. Neil walked in and said hello to both of us.

"Did you study for the test?" Jeremy asked.

"No. Like always." Neil said.