Chapter 3: Mum's ghost

Days passed and finally, we arrived in America. I didn't know how I was feeling. I was both excited and sad. I had been away from Buffalo for over 3 months and everything looked so different. We went to my house which I had missed so much. Home. How strange it was to be home again.

"Miss Cushing! How great it is to have you back with us!" Thalia, one of my maids, said excitedly when she saw me and Allan. "Nice to see you too, Thalia" I said. What happened next was a nightmare... She asked me the question I was hoping not to be asked... "Where is Mr. Sharpe?" "Thomas..." I started saying but then stopped. I felt as if my heart had broken into pieces...How was I supposed to answer to this question? "Sir Thomas Sharpe is dead." Allan finally said. "Oh, miss...I am so sorry..." Thalia told me " I am so stupid..." "No Thalia, it's ok...You couldn't have known..." and then silence... An uncomfortable silence... Allan was the first to talk. "I guess I can leave now. Edith, I'll come tommorow to see how you are." "Ok. Goodbye Allan." I said and then got into the house, closing the door behind me. I then I stood there, unable to move. The house. It was getting old. The walls had started to break and small pieces were falling. "Miss, I made some soup for dinner." Thalia said a while ago. "Oh, thank you Thalia" I said and went to dinning room to eat. I felt so lonely... Even though Thalia was with me, I felt like there was something missing...My father. We used to eat together, the two of us after mother's death but now, there was an empty seat next to mine. I decided to go upstairs to my bedroom. I didn't feel well.

I got inside my room. It was so tidy it felt like new. I locked the door And then I saw something that made me trumble. It was a letter. Just a letter. It was the one that Thomas had sent me.I took it and read it for one more time, with tears in my eyes. Slowly and painfully, I pu it back, lie down to my bed and tried to calm down. I couldn't. I couldn't forget all the pain I had felt when I lost my father. And then Thomas... I felt so lonely. I was crying incessanly...I closed my eyes...

"Edith...." I heard a voice calling for my name "Edith my dear..." I got up. The door was slightly open. 'Wierd' I was thinking when I saw a shadow coming towards me. It was mum... "Edith, my child." she said "My dear child... You are alive..." "Mum..." It was the first time I was talking to her without being afraid of her. "What a lucky girl you are, my dear." she told me. I was shocked. "What do you mean mum?" I asked her. "You don't know? Ask your friend, Allan. He knows the answer..." She said and dissappeared as quick as she had appeared. I closed the door again and then went back to bed. 'What does she mean? Why am I lucky?' That's what I was thinking about all night. 'Tommorow, when Allan  comes, I'll find out. She said he knows...' That was the last thought in my mind before I finally fall asleep...