Chapter 38: The last weeks

The next day passed fast, nothing interesting happened. But the other day, a warm, sunny morning, the workers came early in the morning to work on the house and everyone was happy and excited. Alan took the responsibitity of being the coordinator. The house was quite ready, the olny thing they had to do is paint and furnish it, which wouldn't take long.
Thalia spent most of the day inside the house with me, reminding me that I should be careful. "Alan told me that you have to be really careful these weeks, the baby will be born in three-four weeks and you must not work hard or spend a lot of time out of bed. He also told me that you will have great pain. But don't worry miss, I am here for you!" she said.  And she was telling me the truth. Every time I needed something, whether it was because I was in pain or because I wanted something, she always did her best. I was really sorry for her, after a long day she was always exausted. But she never comlained about it.
As for the baby, Alan told me everything was great and soon, it would be with us. My tummy was now really big and it made it difficult for me to do several things. Not to mention that the only thing I could wear were some loose nightgowns. But I was really happy and I couldn't wait to find out the sex of my little baby and as the days passed, I was getting more and more excited about it, the day I would finally hold it in my arms.

One day, just like all the days as I thought, I went downstairs to the living room and sat down on yhe couch. I was still writing my book and had almost finished it.  And as I was writing, I felt someone's hand on my shoulder. It was cold. I turned and what I saw scared me at first. "Enola? What are you doing here?" I asked the ghost surprised. "Me and the other ghosts have come to show us our support and happiness about your baby!" she said and suddenly, more and more ghosts appeared. All those women who had lived and dead in this house were there, even Lady. Sharpe. "Old Billy!" I screamed as soon as I saw his ghost, jumbed from the couch but I stopped, having a pain in my tummy. "Oh, easy miss, I don't want you to get hurt because of my presence." he said, teasing me. "Well, I have become used to it now." I explained. I looked here and there. "Where is Thomas?" I asked happily. Everyone's eyes looked at the floor. "He...he couldn't come" Enola finally said. "What do you mean? Why couldn't he come?" I asked worried. "We ghosts are allowed to spend only a few days with you and Thomas didn't have the chance to come here today." she explained. "I am sorry Edith, I am sure he would really want to be here". I sat down again "It's fine, I understand" a tear fell from me eye. "Well, I don't think you came here to see me crying! So, ask me whatever you want and I'll answer!" I said, wiping the tears from my face.
And did the day go by, the ghosts were asking me questions and I was answering them. But I could not stop thinking about Thomas...