Chapter 33: Two as one

I used to go to the barn as regurarly as I could, sometimes with old Billy and others alone, but I was never lucky enough to see Thomas. That cloudy morning, a day after my birthday, I woke up determined to go to the barn. Luckily, I had the key with me. I went down the stairs as quietly as I could so I wouldn't wake up anyone, it was about 6 in the morning. I opened the door and followed the path to the barn. It was quite warm because summer was just a week away.

I arrived at the barn and unlocked the door with the key. Inside, it was exactly as it was every time I went there: misty and chilly, but there was something different. Thomas was there.
"Thomas?" I said surprised when I saw him. "Edith? What are you doing here?" he turned and asked me. "I came to see you." I said "I can't believe that you still come here. You look really different from the last time I saw you" he told me. "Well, I am rather big, don't you think?" I said laughing, touching my tummy with my hand. "I am about 8 months now" I informed him. "That means that..." he tried to say. "In less than 2 months our little baby will be born" I told him. "How are things back home?" he asked me, changing the subject. "Everything is great, Thalia and Alan got married, they built a small playground outside in the garden, made a nursery for the baby and...oh!" "What?" Thomas asked me worried. "The baby just kicked!" I said excitedly. "Really?" "Yes! Here!" I said and took his hand, putting it on my tummy. "Yes, I can feel it" he said and for a while he stood there, quiet, touching my tummy. "I love you Edith" he finally said, looking at me. I could see a tear falling from his eyes. "I love you too, Thomas" I said and leaned on him and he did the same. I closed my eyes and my lips met his. They were cold but it felt so good to kiss him. It was like time had stopped and everything around us had frozen. I hadn't felt like that for a long time. My heart was pounding like crazy, trying to free itself from my chest. We were two as one, after so many months apart. But all the good things don't last forever. After a minute, which felt like an eternity, he pulled back.
"My love, I want you to do me a favour." He said "What ever it is, I will do it." I told him. "I want you to leave Allerdale Hall." "Thomas, you know I can't do that." "Please, you have to leave. Lucille is still in the house. I want you and our baby to be safe and Allerdale Hall is definitelly not the right place for you." "But how am I supposed to live in a house without you?" "Tell old Billy to build a house just outside Allerdale Hall. Tell him to call everyone he knows to help. I want the house to be ready by the time our baby will be born." "But that's not possible, two months are not enough." "Please Edith, promise me you'll do as I said. Please." he begged me, holding my hands with his. "I will" I promised. "Good. I don't know when we will meet again but remember, my dear, I will always be with you." he said and kissed me again. "I'll miss you" I said with tears in my eyes. "I'll miss you too". That was thw last thing hw said before he disappeared. I turned around and walked towards the door, opening it. I looked at the inside of the barn again, for one last time "I love you" I said aloud and then locked the door behind me, leaving the barn for once and for all.