Chapter 21: Never forgetting

An hour later, we all went to bed to get some rest. I couldn't sleep. 'Now that Alan is here, I'll have to marry him' I thought. I really didn't want to do that. I closed my eyes, trying to forget everyhing.

"Edith? Are you awake?" Alan whispered, knocking the door. "Yes..." I said. He opened the door and came in. "We have to talk" he said. "Look, I now what you want. I'll marry you." I said, walking towards Alan. "Really?" he asked me surpised. "Yes" I said. "Is it because you need me here or do you really love me?" He asked "I love you Alan" I lied "But what about Thomas? Have you forgotten him?" "Yes, I have" It really hurt me lying but I couldn't do otherwise. "Oh, great. I was afraid that you were still thinking about that terrible man!" he said. I said nothing, trying not to look angry. "It was about time you understood I am a lot better than him" That was it, the last straw. I couldn't handle it anymore. "How dare you saying you are better than Thomas!" I yelled at him. "I knew it! You had been lying all the time! You still haven't forgotten him!" he screamed. "Of course I haven't! I will never forget him!" I told him. He rose his hand. He was ready to slap me. I closed my eyes. But nothing happened. I opened my eyes again and surpised, I saw Thomas holding Alan's hand. "Don't you ever think of hurting her!" he yelled at Alan. "Are you ok?" he asked me calmly. I nodded with tears in my eyes. "If I ever see you touching her, I promise, you'll regret the day you were born!" he turned and said angrily to Alan. He then looked at me. "I'll make sure you are always safe." he said and dissappeared.

I got up, trying to wipe my tears with my sleeve. "I...I am sorry..." Alan said. I couldn't even look at him. "Just leave..." I said, pointing at the door. And so he left, closing the door behind him.