Chapter 31: Surprise

"Thank you so much." I told the coachman as soon as I got out of the carriage. He shook his head and drove away. I walked towards the front door and pushed it. "Thalia I am..." "Happy Birthday!" In front of me was standing Thalia, Alan, old Billy and many other people, wishing me happy birthday. The old man from the paint shop was there too and the man from the post office as well. "Thalia! What did you do? Did you really invite the whole town to come here for my birthday?" I asked her surpised. "Of course!" she said and came next to me, taking the bags from my hands. "I thought you had forgotten it!" I said. "Miss, there would be no way I would ever forget your birthday!" Thalia told me. "It took us more than a month to prepare this!" Alan explained. "Oh! And you still haven't seen the best part!" Thalia said and grabbed my hand "Come with me!" Everyone followed us upstairs. "We have a big sirprise for you!" she said and unlocked the door of the room next to my bedroom. She slightly opened it and what I saw left my speechless. "A nursery!" I finally said a while later. Inside the room there was a crib and in front of it, there was a white lace bassinet and many other boxes with small cards on them. I slowly walked inside the room. "Happy Birthday! Have faith!" I read one of the cards. "For your birthday and your baby!" said another one. "Thank you so much everyone!" I turned around and said to them, with tears in my eyes. "Miss, don't even mention it." Thalia came towards me, holding my hand "Now, let's get downstairs, shall we? I made many things to celebrate!" I nodded, unable to say anything else. So that's what they were doing! A nursery!

We all went downstairs to the dining room and had lunch. Thalia had made turkey and baked potatoes. Everything was delicious and everyone seemed to have a great time. "Everyone, I want to propose a toast!" Alan said, standing up. Everyone did the same "To Edith! Happy 25th Birthday!" he said, raising his glass of wine. "To Edith!" everyone said aloud. I was so happy and could barely hold my tears back. I stood up. "I am really thankful to you all, for doing all those things just for me and my baby. I shall always be greatful to you" I said and everyone started applauding, making the atmoshere even better.