Chapter 8:The proposal

Half a month had passed. Another half and then I would leave America. Every week, I was visiting Alan and we talked about the baby. I was one and a half months pregnant now. It felt really strange to have someone inside you and I was constantly thinking about how I would raise my child, without Thomas, all alone...

Just a week before we would leave for England, Alan visited me. I was in my room when Thalia knocked the door and came in. "Miss, sir Alan is downstairs and is asking for you." she told me "Tell him to come upstairs." "Sure." she said and left.

A minuite later, Alan came in. "Alan, what do you want?" I asked him. "Edith, there is something I want to ask you..." he said. "Sure, what is it?" I told him. I noticed that he had taken a small, velvet ring case and then kneeled. "Edith Cushing, will you marry me?" I was shocked. Did he just proposed to me? "Alan...I...I am sorry...I can't." I said with a trembling voice. "What do you mean you can't?" "I only see you as a friend. And I would never marry anyone after what happened between Thomas and me... I can't do this to him." I said. "Oh, come on now Edith! You are always talking about Thomas! " he said angrily. "Please...please stop...I..." I tried to explain. Tears were falling from my eyes. "He tried to kill you! He tried to kill me! Forget him! He is dead now!" That was it. I couldn't take it anymore. "How you dare talking like that about him! He saved both you and me!" I started screaming. "Oh yeah? Didn't he poisoned you? Didn't he..." "STOP IT! GET OUT OF HERE NOW! NOW!" I said angrily. "Fine!" he said and left, shutting the door behind him...