Chapter 26: The wedding

A month passed and the wedding day arrived. Everything was ready. Old Billy and I had booked a wedding hall, bought decorations, the bride's wedding dress, the grooms' suit and wrote the invitations. Alan and Thalia's relatives would come from America for the wedding.

Everything went as good as planned. The wedding was short and soon, everyone was having a cup of tea and some sweets. I was sitting at a table with old Billy when Alan's mother came towards me. "Edith, dear." she told me with a sneaky smile. "I am so happy to see you again after all this time! How are you?" Hugging me she asked. "Oh, hello Mrs. Mcmichael. It's good to see you too. Everything is great. What about you? Are you liking the wedding?" I asked her, trying to behave politely. "Yes, it's a beautiful one but what had me wondering is you my dear." she said "Me? Why?" I asked her confused. "Alan told me you are pregnant. May I ask, how many months are you?" "Almost 6" "And is this Sir Thomas Sharpe's child?" "Yes miss" "Ah, where's our charming baronet? I don't see him anywhere." Looking here and there. "He...he is dead miss." I said, bending my head, trying not to show the tears in my eyes. "Oh, I am really sorry Edith! You should be really sad about it!" she said sarcastically and I knew the reason why she was telling me this. She always wanted Unice to marry a famous and rich man like Thomas and when she found out that we got married, she was really angry. "Unice, come here my child!" she turned, calling for her daughter.
Soon, Unice joined us. "Unice, you remember Edith, right?" her mother asked her. "Of course I do, she stole my man." she said, looking down on me. "Well, she is 6 months pregnant you see" said her mother. "Really? Wow, I never wanted children. They are so naughty and lazy, they do nothing." Unice said. I was ready to shout at both of them when old Billy got up from his chair. "I am sorry but miss Sharpe has to leave." he said, pulling me from the arm "Thank you" I whispered with tears in my eyes, trying not to look at Unice and her mother.