Chapter 35: Hard work

The next morning, men from the town come, some carrying long pieces of wood and others pushing heavy wheelbarrows full of bricks. Old Billy had woken up early that morning and was already outside, giving intructions and orders to the workers, when I got outside the house. "Was that what you were doing all day yesterday?" I asked him, quite sirprised by the number of the men. "Right miss!" he said proudly. I hugged him tightly "Thank you so much" I told him. "Don't even mention it, miss. It's my duty to take care of you and work for you after Sir Thomas died." he said. "How are things going?" I asked, looking at the workers. "Really good miss. I think that by the end of the day, we will have built the first room" he said and pointed next to a tree. "This will be the kitchen and the living room." he said "I'll tell Thalia and Alan to come and help you" I told him. "That would be really kind of you" he thanked me. "Buy what I want from you is to bring a chair here, sit down and enjoy your new house being built. "I think you are right, I feel a little tired." I said and walked inside the house.

And that's how everyhing happened. Old Billy, Thalia, Alan and the workers had been working hard for the rest of the day and by midnight, the first room was ready. "Thank you all so much for your help" I said when we all went to the dining room to have dinner. "I'll make sure you'll get paid for your work. Thalia will be cooking dinner for you for the rest of the days, until you finish the house." Everyone stood up and started applauding and screaming. "Now," old Billy said when everyone calmed down. "I expect you to be here tomorrow, same hour as today" he said and everyone agreed.

And so the house started being built. For a month, the men came every morning and worked hard until midnight. By the end of June, they had built the kitchen, living room, bathroom and one of the three bedrooms. With a new house, good friends and company every day and the baby on its way, you would say everyhing was great at last. But you would be wrong...