Chapter 22: Breaking off the engagment

I lay on my bed, thinking about what I should do next. After what had happened, I hated Alan but I hated myself even more. For letting Alan talk to me like that. I shouldn't have agreed with Thomas. I had to break off the engagment, even if it meant breaking my promise.

I walked towards Alan's bedroom and knocked the door. "Come in" He said. "Alan..." I said, pushing myself inside the room. "Look Edith, I am so sorry." He interrupted me. "I shouldn't have done that." "I know, but I have to break off the engagment. I can't marry you" I told him. "Yes, I understand." He said, his eyes looking at the floor. "But you can stay here if you want" I said "That's really kind of you, thank you" He told me. "Well, I think I'll leave now. If you need anything, ask Thalia" I said and left.

"Miss, is everyhing alright?" Thalia asked me when I went to the kitchen. She was making dinner. "Yeah, I just broke off the engagment with Alan." I said calmly. "Really miss?" I nodded. "But...but sir Alan will stay with us, won't he?" She asked me. She seemed to be worried. "Of course he will" I told her "Why are you asking?" "Oh, because you'll need help with the baby and..." she stopped. "What is it Thalia?" I asked her, eager to know the truth. "Miss I...I think I have feelings for him..."