Chapter 39: The house is ready.

"What was all the noise early this morning?" Alan asked me when he and Thalia joined me and came to the living room. "Oh, nothing" I said and closed my book, "I am really hungry, can you please make something for breakfast?" I asked Thalia. "Of course miss!" she said and rushed to the kitchen. "Well, I have to get outside, the workers will come soon" Alan said and went outside.

All day, they were painting the house and carrying furniture. About half past six, they all came inside. "Edith, we want to show you the house. And I am delighted to say that it is ready!". They helped me stand up from the couch and I was led, with closed eyes, right outside my new house. " Open them!" they all screamed. I opened my eyes and I saw the house. It was amazing, big with many windows, just the way I wanted it. "Wow! This is great!" I screamed. "And you still haven't seen the interior!" Alan said and opened the door.

Inside, the house, although painted with dark red paint, it was really bright and beautifully furnished. Chandeliers lit up the room and a huge fireplace was in front of the couch. Bookselfs full of books and small coffe tables were put in the living room. Then we moved on to the kitchen. Despite its size, it was really beautiful and had everything we needed. The dining room was big with a huge table in the middle and more than 12 chairs around it.

We went upstairs to the bedrooms. They were quite small but really beautiful, decorated with everything you can imagine, from candles to picture frames. "We have a special surprise for you" Alan said, taking a small, gold key out of his pocket and led me to a closed door. He slowly unlocked it and opened the door.

What was inside that room brought  tears in my eyes. There were tables and on them, there were Thomas' inventions. All of them, not even one was missing. I started wondering around the big room, taking some of them on my hands. "This is beautiful..." I whispered "Thank you" I turned and looked at them, trying to hide my tears and smile. "You are welcome Edith" Alan said and smiled. "Now, let's go downstairs and discuss about when will we move here.

We all went downstairs to the living room and sat on the comfortable couches. "So, the house is ready and fully furnished" Alan started talking "and we can even move in tonight. What do you think?" "I find it a great idea." said Thalia. "Edith?" Alan said and turned to look at me. "I...I don't know. I want to give birth to my baby in Allerdale." I said. "Well, that is one week away. Is it so important?" Alan asked. "Thomas may be there." "What do you mean miss?" "Isn't he dead?" "Yes, he is but he is a ghost now and he visits me sometimes." "So he knows about the baby, right?" Thalia asked. I nodded. "I want to see him for one more time. I want him to meet our baby. I want to say goodbye to him." "Then that's what will happen." Alan said. "Thalia, do you agree?" "Of course I agree!" "Then in two weeks time, we move in!"

And so they days passed. Pain and more pain every day. The baby would come in less than three days, maybe even the other day. Everyone was ready. Alan and Thalia started finding  names for the baby and bet on whether it would be a boy or a girl. And I was more than just excited. But I was worried too. What if Thomas couldn't come? What if I wouldn't be able to say goodbye?