Chapter 13: Midnight

Thalia and old Billy spent the rest of the day planting and watering the back yard. Fortunately, they let me help them. My job was to find things that we had to throw away. I was getting up and down the stairs, opening and closing drawers and cupboards. It was quite tiring so I had to stop and sit every 5 minuites. At 10, we all gathered and had dinner and then got upstairs to sleep.

In the middle of the night, I woke up to the sound of someone's voice. "Edith..." It was saying my name. I checked the clock: midnight. I got up and opened the door. "Edith..." The voice continued saying. I soon understood that it was coming from the attic. I ran up the stairs and walked towards Thomas' workshop.

And there he was. The voice. It was Thomas'. "Thomas...is...is it really you?" I asked, trying to hold my tears back. "Edith...you came back." He said. He still had that sad look on his face. "Why are you doing this? Why did you call for me? Aren't you mad at me?" I was really confused. "Why would I ever be mad at you my dear Edith?" "In my dream, you...you were..." "I don't know what you are talking about." "It wasn't you? In my dream? It wasn't you who told me to come back?" "No." he said. And now I finally understood. It was me. I was the one that told me to come back. "So...you, you know nothing about the baby..." I whispered. "What baby?" "I am pregnant Thomas." I felt something wet on my cheek. Tears. They were falling like rain. "You...The night at the post office..." I notted. I could not speak. "Oh, my dear Edith... What a monster I am...I let Lucille hurt you and our baby..." I knew it was difficult for him to speak too. I could see his hand shaking. "No, no...don't be sorry. It's all my fault. If I hadn't let you go and burn that paper... You would be alive now and..." I felt my body shaking, I could not stay still. And then, darkness. "Edith!" That was the last thing I heard Thomas saying...