Chapter 20: An unexpected surpise

The following days, it was pouring with rain so Thalia and old Billy couldn't work on the playground. But that didn't stop them! They were painting the house all day and all night and by the end of the week the house was fully painted. I was really sad that I couldn't help them. Every time I was trying to do something for them, they were complaining that I didn't rest enough.

On Monday, there was a knock on the door. I was laying on the sofa and was almost asleep. "I'll open miss." Thalia said and walked towards the door. "Oh sir Alan! What a great surpise!" When I heard her, I got up immediatelly. "Hello Thalia, it's nice to see you too" I heard Alan saying. They started coming towards me. "Alan, welcome." I said. "Edith, you look good." he said. "Thalia and old Billy are experts in taking care of me" I said "I see. How's the baby?" he asked me "Oh, everyhing in great, nothing wrong." I lied. "You must be really tired. Thalia, why don't you show Alan his bedroom?" I turned and said to Thalia. "And then we should have lunch" I suggested "Right miss. This way." she told Alan and both of them went upstairs.

"I saw that you have repaired the roof and painted the whole house." Alan exclaimed when we all gathered to have lunch. "Yeah, Old Billy and Thalia did it." "Well, then I have to say that they did an excellent job. The house looks really different." "It's my pleasure to work for miss Sharpe" Old Billy said. "Future miss Mcmichael." Alan said. Everyone looked at me surpised. "Alan, we said that we would discuss about it later." I said, trying not to look angry, beacause the truth is, that I was. How could he have metioned the engagment without asking me first? "Oh, right, I am sorry" He said but clearly he wasn't so sorry. I could see it in his eyes. An uncomfortable silence followed our last words and we kept eating, saying nothing else.