Chapter 30: Birthday

My birthday had arrived. I was sleeping when Thalia came inside the room, opened the window and the daylight filled the room. "Miss, good morning! It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" She said, waking me up.
"Yes it is..."I said, covering my eyes with my hand. " Breakfast is ready." She told me and left, not even mentioning my birthday.
I woke up and went downstairs. I found Alan and old Billy having their breakfast in the kitchen.
"Good morning miss." Said old Billy. "Hello Edith. Come, sit and have breakfast with us." Alan told me. I sat down.
"Oh, do you know what day it is today?" Thalia said a while later and I though that she had remembered my birthday. "Of course I know!" Alan said. "It's Saturday! The day you go to the town!"
"Yes! The problem is that I have so many things to do and I can't go to the town! Miss, would you mind going to the town for me?" Thalia asked me. I nodded, feeling really dissapointed. How could they have forgotten my birthday?
"Great!" Thalia said and left the kitchen. "This is the list with the things I need." She said when she came back and gave me a sheet of paper.
"Blue paint, a kilo of potatoes, a loaf of bread..." I said, reading what was writen on the paper. "Thalia you need so many things! It will take me all day to find them!" I exclaimed. "Miss don't worry, you can take as much time as you need. I'll be here helping old Billy with the gardening." she explained. "Alright..." I said and got up. "I'll be back for lunch" I said and left the kitchen, walking towards the front door.

In about three hours, I had finished with the shopping. The only thing that was missing was the paint so I went straight to the old man's shop. I pushed the door but it was locked. I knocked and knocked for several times but there was no answer. 'I will have to go back without the paint. It's about time for lunch. Thalia will understand.' I told myself, turning around and walking towards a carriage I found there. "To Allerdale Hall please." I told the coachman and he started driving away.