Chapter 17 Is it me?

Remus ended up chasing James around the entire room, them both barely dodging the snacks table. Shrieks and shrills could be heard around the room as James carelessly pushed girls aside before he ran and hid behind you, peeking over your shoulder as Remus skidded to a hault. Remus' eyes were narrowed, and you could practically see the anger. It slightly scared you, but you didn't know why, the entire situation was more funny then scary.

"Aww, come up Moony, you wouldn't hurt our dear Oracle would you?" James asked, smiling cheekily. Remus' eyes only narrowed more.

"Aww, come on Remmy!" You said, lightly punching his arm. His gaze immidiently softened as he put on an annoyed expression. You knew he hated that nick name, and he knew you liked calling him that nick name, and you knew he also secretly liked you calling him that nick name. Confusing much? James cautiously stepped out from behind you before resting his elbow on your shoulder as he leaned on you, ruffling your hair.

"Y'know, you make a great human shield!" James exclaimed, earning a glare from you and Lilly. James out his arms up in surrender. "Okay, okay, I take it all back, you are a HORRIBLE human shield!" James said quickly before disappearing into the crowd. You made a confused expression, not sure wether to be pleased or insulted. Soon Sirius followed James after looking at Lilly expectantly. Lily made an 'oh' face before rushing after the boys, leaving you and Remus. (Cliche much?)

"So...are you gonna hook up or no?" You asked, making Remus look at you confused.

"What?"

"You know..." You said, dragging it on. Remus only continued to look at you obliviously. You cleared your throat as you nodded in the direction of the girl who was previously flirting with him. Remus recoiled, a slightly disgusted look on his face.

"What?! No!"

"Okay, Okay!" You said putting your hands up.

"To be perfectly honest with you, she was dumber then a box of rocks. She didn't even know what mandrakes are used for! Plus she didn't get my mandrake joke!" He exclaimed.

"You...you have a joke for mandrakes?"

"Yes! What did the mandrake say to the human?" You refrained from face palming as you answered his question.

"What?"

"Are you okay? You look look like you've been petrified from fear!"

"Remus that was the stupidest Halloween herbology mandrake joke I've ever heard in the history of magic." Remus pouted and sighed in defeat.

"It's not my fault I'm so punny!"

"Your jokes are too punny, like so punny that they can't even be funny."

"Is it everybody hates on Remus hour?" He asked as he frowned more, if even possible.

"You know I'm just joking." You said as you stood on your tippy toes to ruffle his light brown hair. Suddenly your action was interrupted by the sound of a cheesy slow song playing. As if by instinct you imminently scanned the crowd for people who were slow dancing extremely awkward. "Come on Moony, help me find an awkward couple!" As if by cue you saw James and Lilly stiffly dancing together, and Sirius who was by them, who was also surprisingly barely dancing. When you realized Remus wasn't making fun of couples with you, you turned to face him. "Are the you okay?" You asked. Remus' eyes widened as he quickly recovered himself and fixed his tie.

"Umm yeah" He awkwardly itched behind his neck as he sighed before looking at his shoes like they were the love of his life. "I was wondering if...instead of making fun of people dancing....if..you...um...might..like to...maybe...dance?" He looked back at you and literally looked like the cutest being on the planet. You smiled and laughed, butterflies forming in your stomach. Remus looked sad for a moment before you grabbed his hand and pulled him out onto the dance floor, nearly causing him to loses his balance. Remus smiled as you wrapped your arms around his neck. He hesitated for a moment before putting his hands on your waist as you both swayed to the music. You leaned in every now and then, but that was only to insult the music which caused Remus to shake his head and chuckle. You did this for a few more songs until he abruptly stopped and let you go, lightly pushing you away.

"I...I need to go. I'm sorry." Remus quickly rushed before he ran out the door, leaving you standing in the middle of the dance floor awkwardly, a few kids staring at you for a moment. You saw the guys chase him as Lilly approached you and led you to the side of the room.

"Are you okay?" She asked as you held back tears. You weren't one to cry, but this was just embarrassing and sad. You felt like you wanted to curl up in a corner and sob. You thought he liked you...and instead he just pushed you away. You shook your head and Lilly wiped a stray tear and hugged you. "Do you want to go back to the room?" She asked. You nodded as Lilly led you upstairs, you biting your lip as you wiped away any tears that managed to roll down your cheek. When you got up to your room though, you let it all out. The dance was only half way done, so no one else was in your room to hear you except Lilly who helped you get off your makeup and get ready for the night. You sat in your bed, leaning on Lilly as you wiped away your tears. Suddenly you looked at Lilly.

"Is it me? Am I the problem?"