Chapter 27

Thranduil was seated in the study, with Legolas playing at his feet. He looked at the letter that Ayesha's father had given him. He opened the letter and began reading.

Dear Thranduil,

If you are reading this, it means I didn't make it back home. I didn't make it back to you and Legolas. I wrote this letter because if I didn't make it back, I didn't want my family to fall apart. I wanted to tell you some things, that I didn't get to tell you in person. I'm not to good at writing, but this is important. When I first met you, I didn't think there was much to you. I just thought you were a serious king, who had and didn't show any feelings. But as I got to know you more, I realized I was wrong. I fell in love with you Thranduil, Lord of Mirkwood. Son of the great Oropher. I saw something in you that just made me melt. All I ever wanted in life was a family. I grew up without my mother and some things in my life didn't make sense. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't leave my family. I've failed and broke my promise. All I can say for that is that I am sorry. I'm not happy that I left you and Legolas, but it was a good reason. I did it to protect my family. I wasn't going to be the wife, that sat on the side and watched her husband fight till his last. I wanted to be right there by your side, ending the battle that would lead to peace. But I knew the responsibilities you have and I knew I would have to accept that. Before I married you I thought of all those things. I didn't mind. I wanted to spend my life with you, have a family with you, so I forgot about it. When Legolas joined our family, it was the best thing that happened to me. I got a wonderful son. When he was born, all I wanted to do was see him grow up. Now, I can't do that, so you have to. I wanted to see him shoot his first orc and start his own family. Become a great ruler of Mirkwood and see him fall in love. He deserves to have what we had. But now I can't do that anymore, so I want you to make me a promise. I want you to promise me, promise me you will be there for him. See him shoot his first orc and to see him become a leader. But by far the most important thing to see, is him fall in love and start another generation of the Greenleaf family. Don't tell him who to marry, he will know who is right for him. Just watch, Thranduil. Watch for me. There are so many more things I could tell you, but I don't have enough paper. There are words that haven't even been invented yet, that describe my feelings for you. But there are two words that will sum up everything. They are gi melin (I love you). I will always love you, Thranduil. I can't wait to see you again, so I can tell you everything else in person. But for now this will have to do.

                                                                       All my love,

                                                               Ayesha Greenleaf

When Thranduil read that letter, his heart melted. All he wanted in the world was for Ayesha to come back, but he knew that would never happen. Thranduil always thought that they would be together for eternity, but since she it gone now, Thranduil knows that that is not possible anymore, and that breaks his heart even more. Ayesha was the love of his life. And now she was gone for good. Thranduil knew he would never be the same. He put the letter away and watched his son, Legolas, play on the floor.

 He put the letter away and watched his son, Legolas, play on the floor