Chapter 31

Chapter 31

"Stop trying to sell your lies. No one buys it" I heard a voice from behind me. I turned around, feeling betrayed. I didn't want anyone to hear what I had said. I looked him in the eyes. He looked at me with this new stare. He never looked at me like this. He was always so kind. He raised an eyebrow, looking at me for an explanation.

"I am not lying" I said and started taking steps to leave the place and forget about the horrible things I had to hear. When I was passing Maher, he grabbed my arm, jerking me back. I wanted to look him in the eyes but he was looking down.

"Get out of our lives" he said with a quiet voice. My mouth dropped open. I couldn't recognize him anymore. I really couldn't. I threw his hands off of me and turned so I was standing in front of him.

"I am so done with this! First them and now you. I only came here to find my child. Your nephew is lost, Maher. He got kidnapped by your psycho cousin that first took my life and now also my baby. If I did this all on purpose, don't you think I would want to marry him? Or even try to come back here? I am struggling, Maher. I am lost and I have a hard time living. I don't make much money and also have no one to help me. If I wanted this all to happen, don't you think I would be happy right now?! Even though Karim came to Earth in the worst way, he is still my own blood and flesh. He is still mine and he is still your nephew. Karim didn't do anything wrong. Go on, blame me. I don't care- but don't let the life of a little child get ruined because of this. I need your help" I said with tears streaming down my face. I wanted to let him feel something. He wasn't this hard. He looked at me and I saw that his eyes were starting to tear too. He then took a step away from me, looking up. Then he looked down at me and shook his head.

"I can't help you" he whispered before walking off. I shook my head. It was no use. Nothing I say would make him believe me. I started walking, to do the last thing I could do.

"You what?!" my lawyer said after I told her everything. We were sitting at her office. Kamal told me to keep everything a secret, but I needed to do this for Karim. I knew that I would lose the case this time but it was the only thing left to do. She looked at me as if I had gone mad and shook her head the whole time.

"So you are saying that Karim got kidnapped, that you married, and now that you can't find your son?! Why the hell didn't you come sooner Manar? What the hell were you thinking?!" she said with a louder voice. I looked down at my hands and played with my fingers. She was right. It even sounded bad to me. She got up from the seat and went to the drawer. She started taking out files and documents and started reading them.

"How can you even think that Nourdin would win the case?! I mean, he was in the damn prison! He already has a bad reputation. Why Manar.." she said, putting on her glasses while scanning through the papers.

"What are you searching for?" I asked her. She didn't even look up at me and kept on searching.

"Things that could help Nourdin to get in again" she said. My eyes widened.

"That isn't so easy right? I mean, the last time it took us a few months to get the judges on our side. How are we going to do that this time? They are powerful. With their money they can buy any judge and they will. You know that too" I said, putting my head in my hands.

"That's for me to worry about. Don't think of the court and stuff. I will handle it. Stay strong for your child. If we could proof that Karim is indeed with them, it won't take so long" she said, making a mess from all the paper she threw around.

"How will I be able to find Karim? I really don't know where to search. Last time I ended up in hospital because I thought I was going to have him back" I said. She didn't say anything for a while.

"Hold on a second ARE YOU MARRIED?!" she said, looking up from the papers. I raised an eyebrow.

"I told you I did" I said. She closed the document she had in her hand and looked at me as if I had grown a second head.

"Manar why do I not know about this? Who is it? Someone you knew already or?" she asked and I shook my head, telling her everything. I told her how I met Kamal and how our paths always crossed. I told her about that he wanted to marry me in order to protect Karim and that I agreed. The whole time, she looked at me with wide eyes and sometimes facepalmed herself. I felt really bad and it didn't motivate me to be there anymore.

"Can you stop doing that?" I asked her feeling very annoyed. I wasn't a child anymore.

"Manar how could you do something so, so stupid?! This random dude comes 'coincidentally' in your life, and you marry him just because he says stuff that's not even logical?! Manar how could you not think that he could be part of their gang. You really pissed me off right now" she said being very angry. I knew that it would make everything more difficult, but still, I don't regret marrying Kamal. He wouldn't do that. He wasn't part of them. He wasn't even sure about what happened to me.

"Kamal wouldn't do that. He doesn't even have a clue of what is happening" I said, shaking my head. Kamal wouldn't betray me. He was nothing like that.

"Listen Manar. When did he show up? A few days before you found out that Nourdin was free. He was always around, because if he wasn't, you wouldn't have seen him so much. And just when Karim is gone, he is by your side the whole time?! Do you even know things about this guy? I mean, from what I hear you don't even know where he lives or what he does for a living. Think about it Manar. There is always a second side to a story" she said. l put my palm on my forehead. That couldn't be true. Kamal wouldn't do that. But.. It sounded so logical. What if he was indeed part of them? What if he even helped him getting Karim?...

~~~~~~~

Check out my new book and new poetry book!
Instagram: mmms_29