Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I walked towards the door with Karim in my arms. I wanted nothing more than to give him over to Manar, to see her face light up. I wanted her to smile, to laugh. I looked down at the sleeping baby, trying to let it through that he was really in my arms. I knocked on the door with my feet and heard her voice after a few minutes.

"Who is that?" I heard her say. She sounded still the same.

"Its me, Kamal. Open the door Manar" I said and in a few seconds the door opened. Her eyes went from me to Karim. She opened her mouth and her eyes were already tearing. She put her hand in the air, trying to reach Karim.

"Is this... Is this real?" I heard her say. Her voice sounded so light that I had to pay attention to understand what she said. Tears were streaming down her face. She was like a statue, only looking at Karim with still her hand almost reaching Karim. I took a step forward, so her hand was touching Karim's head. The moment she touched him, the moment she broke down. She grabbed Karim slowly from me, crying her heart out. She couldn't stand anymore so she sat down on the floor. I closed the door behind us and kneeled down too, putting an arm around her. She put Karim's head in her neck, inhaling his scent along with it.

"Sssh, its over now. He is here. He is here, safe, with you" I said, trying to let her realize that this was real. She looked at me for a second and then turned again to Karim. I let her hug him for what felt like forever. Slowly by slowly did her tears get dry. She was now breathing heavily, still with Karim in her hands.

"Come on, lets get you to the couch" I said, helping her with getting up. She held Karim like she was about to lose him again, but made her way to the couch. She sat down, looking at Karim, who was asleep now. I put my arm around her that made her turn towards me.

"How?" she whispered, looking from me at Karim. It felt like as if she would lose him again the moment she looked away. I could feel that she was feeling guilty, way too guilty. I grabbed her hand.

"Hey, look at me. Its not your fault. Nothing is your fault" I said. She looked away trying to get her hand out of mine but I wasn't letting go.

"Its my fault. I shouldn't have left him there. Who would do that. I am a bad mother. I can't ev-" I cut her off.

"Stop. You are not a bad mother. You are the best mother I've seen. Look at me, I don't even talk properly with my mother. You are amazing" I told her. She rolled her eyes while looking away.

"How did you find him?" she asked me. I shrugged my shoulders, wanting to avoid the subject. She would get mad when she found out about me stealing her phone.

"I just got a text message saying where he was" I said. She turned towards me immediately, raising her eyebrow.

"Why? Why you? They would text me, not you. Why Kamal?" She asked me. I avoided her eyes, not wanting to explain. It wasn't the right time. Just when I was about to answer, Karim started crying. Manar turned to him immediately and put him in a standing position. He was moving hysterically, not finding peace at anything Manar said. I opened my arms.

"Hey, come here little one" I said. Karim looked at me, sobbing slower than he did. I looked at Manar to ask permission. She didn't say anything nor did she give off a sign that I can. I put my arms down and Karim started crying again. I wasn't going to hold him if she didn't give permission. Manar handed me Karim when he started crying louder. I looked at her if she was okay with it and she nodded. I took Karim from her and put him on my chest, lying against the couch. He put his head in my neck, stopping with crying. Manar looked at me with big eyes, not really understanding why he did that. Neither did I. I grabbed her with me other arm and pulled her against me, letting her head rest next to Karim's. I closed my eyes, wanting to enjoy the feeling I got. A feeling that I had never ever felt before..

~~
Salaam guys. I am really thankful for the messages I got at the previous chapter. I thought that no one would agree and I was kind of scared of the reactions. I am really happy that you guys understood me. I am keeping my promiss; updating after 30 comments. Lets get this one to 45 comments. Love you all. Oh btw, Islam is my Life- episodes coming soon!