Chapter 47

Chapter 47

I looked at her beautiful face. She was lying down against me, with her hand on my hand. Her hair was next to her, shining the colour black. I had seen her hair for the first time, and it was the first time I realized how beautiful she was. Her curls reached her hip, making her look much different than normal. It was then that I realized the meaning of hijab for the first time. I went through her hair with my hands. It was difficult because of the curls, but I liked the feeling. She moved a bit, coming closer to me. I gently grabbed her arms and put her half on me and wrapped my arms around her. She snuggled closer, that made me able to breathe in her scent. It made me feel calm, even though I was far from that. The guilt in me was eating me. I felt tired. I wanted to know what happened to Manar in details, even though I think I knew what happened. Maybe I just didn't want to be confronted with it. Maybe I was scared that I would drive over to Nourdin's house and burn him with everyone in it that hurt her. I looked at her face that looked stressed. Even in her sleep, the poor girl was not at peace. I stroked her cheek lightly, which made her smile a little bit. It made me feel better. Me having such a different affect on her made me feel better. It was as if for the first time someone appreciated my presence.

"Kamal, can you pick me up?" she said through the phone softly. I stopped when the light turned red. It was almost afternoon and I came back from dad's office.

"Yes, I was on my way already. Just give me five minutes" I said, driving further. She was at the lawyer today. I wanted to go with her but she didn't want me there. It did hurt me a bit, but I didn't want to think anything of it. She needs her space. I saw her after a few minutes standing in front of the building with her arms crossed. She looked stressed as always. I pulled up next to her and she got in the car without even looking at me. She then sat there for a second, before turning to me. She looked me in the eyes, as if she was trying to talk through it. Then, out of nowhere, she reached over and put her arms around my neck.

"It went horrible.. It went horrible" she whispered, over and over again. I hugged her back, restraining myself from asking what happened. I left her waist after a few seconds. She sat back and just looked out of the window.

"Come on, lets grab some coffee" I said while driving further. Neither of us talked. I knew that I needed to be quiet now. I felt like she knew that we would talk about it while sitting somewhere. I pulled over at the Starbucks and went out of the car. She was still sitting there. I walked over to her side and opened the door for her. She still wasn't moving.

"Come on Manar, please" I said, pleading. She looked at me for a second as if she was lost in her thoughts and just realised where she was. She then went out of the car and went with me inside. I looked at the menu board.

"What would you like?" I asked her. She didn't even look at the menu which hurt me a bit. I mean, I wanted to cheer her up. Maybe she just didn't like coffee. The scene of where she was kicking the coffee machine came to my mind. No, she liked coffee.

"Hi, how can I help you?" the barista asked.

"Can I have two cups of white caffee moccha's, please?" I asked him. It was my favourite so I knew Manar would like it.

"Okay, which size?" he asked me.

"Venti" I said, remembering that we were going to talk for a long time. The barista asked a few questions more and after we got our drinks, we sat down at this little table for two.

"Wait, I forgot something" I said while going back. I ordered a cheesecake for Manar and then came back with it. She smiled a bit when she saw it.

"How'd you know?" She asked me. I just shrugged my shoulders. I remember her once telling me how she liked cheesecake. A silence fell between us. I gave her the time to just think and get accostumed to the place before I would fire my questions. But strangely, Manar beat me to it. This girl always did things I didn't expect.

"So I talked with my lawyer. About Nourdin" she said, looking anywhere but me. I didn't ask anything. I just wanted her to take her time.

"You know, they even have the government on their side. Which is not new. I mean, it was the same during the first court. But I won it anyways. I mean, I won custody of Karim and Nourdin was sent to prison for one and a half year. Only that little" she said, playing with her cheesecake. I took a sip of my coffee, relaxing after the caffeine went into my body.

"But this time, I have no evidence. He didn't directly hurt me. He just shows up every now and then. He kidnapped my child, but they didn't buy it. I have no evidence in their eyes" she said. Still, I didn't say anything.

"The worst part of it, which scares me the most, is that they got your father involved. That day when the police took me, it happened" she said, looking me in the eyes for the first time. My mouth went open a little bit. My father? How?

"What?" I managed to make out. My dad didn't know about Manar- he couldn't know. I needed everything he was offering me to live this life, to help him.

"Yes.. I am so sorry Kamal. I didn't know either. My lawyer just- she just went crazy when this police officer was threatening me and saying how Nourdin's family was filling their empty hands. She told me she had done research about you and found out about your family's wealth and status.. I really didn't mean to do it. She just thought it would've been a good opportunity to use it against Nourdin. And today we just argued a bit and I just feel like I have nothing against him anymore.." she said, making my blood burn. How dared she?! Who the hell did this lawyer thought she was? The first time I saw her I already got this negative feeling about her. But that was not the worst part. If my dad got involved, they would know about me being married and they would ruin Manar's life. Not to mention that the Hafsa-thing is still going on.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked me softly, looking down. I sighed and went with my chair a little bit forward so I was near her. I then pulled her to me and kissed her head, which even caught me off guard.

"I'm not.." I said, while I was boiling mad inside..

~~~~~
OMG this has to be the longest chap I've ever written!! Sorry guys for the long wait, I just have it so busy right now. I didn't pass a few tests which I have to redo this period. Even now I am so sleepy but I felt bad for not updating. So that's why you get this cuuuuuuuuute chappie. Omg I just LOVE Kamal!