thirty seven

Omf you literally have no idea how excited I am! I'm approximately a bit over hundred votes away from 1K votes!!!!!!!!!!! wtf I swear I kept remembering the time they were roughly 20 votes I can't believe it! You people are incredible, all of you who vote...and who don't.

Please vote and comment and let me know what you think? We have a very interesting chapter ahead ;) (not smutty, but still interesting)

..

The blood roared in my ears, I could hear it. I was coming back home from yet a long day at work that'd make it easier to fall asleep but this time, fate was there to strike me in the face. I had been about ready to spend some time with my sister and fall asleep, hoping I wouldn't dream of her...but then she was suddenly in front of me.

I blinked hard to make sure I wasn't disillusioning. My heart thundered in my chest, the beat so loud I wondered if she heard it too. I couldn't help it, I drew in a sharp, surprised grip and something resembling a whimper escaped her before she turned around. I wish she hadn't.

The sight of her face and those eyes both pained me and made me livid. Her eyes were hallow, the color in them so dull. She was pale and beneath her eyes was dark and puffed. Five months ago, she was definitely more alive than this, but still, with all those flaws and signs of deep tiredness, she was still the prettiest girl I've ever seen. I kept my expression as unreadable as I could, but Lola's face was tight with tension and pain. She looked like she was about to cry any second.

Quietly, she turned around, shut her door, and revived the ache I had. I stood there for so long, trying to regain my calm and convince myself that I wasn't dreaming. She's back, she's just as hurt...and I've never felt more anger and pain in my life at that moment. Leave it to Lola to bring out the worst in me.

After standing for I don't know how long, I left. I'd probably imagined it, but I felt that she was standing behind the door all this time.

Charlotte had been standing behind the door as well, because I was just about to insert the key into the lock when the door opened. I was startled, but she shot me a small smile that didn't reach her eyes. I hated myself--and frankly hated Lola--for making my sister go through this as well.

When Lola left, Charlotte refused to do anything more than stay with me. She accepted the job she was offered, but used my father to her advantage and convinced her boss to make her day shorter. I'd come everyday around midnight and find her on the couch, with an empty dish in front of her and a sweet little note that said dinner in the oven. It gutted my heart to know she suffered along with me. Things got even worse when she told me she no longer wanted to see Dylan because she found a bit of similarities between him and Lola and it made her livid. And while I didn't really like him, I felt sorry for him the few times he came and left with slumped shoulders and lost hope that Charlotte would ever go back to him.

It seemed quite ridiculous that such a departure between me and Lola would cause all of this, but truth was, it wasn't precisely Lola's departure that caused all this shit...It was what her departure reminded us of. It reminded us that you could love someone so hard, give them all you have and in one blink of an eye, they take it all and leave you bare.

Lola believed me that night. I saw it. I felt it. But she was convincing herself that nothing lasted forever, that I, was so much like her ex lover who made her weak in an unhealthy way. Truth was, she didn't believe that reason, and yet she cowered and left nevertheless. How could I ever trust someone with my heart after this? And how could Charlotte believe that Dylan might be a good guy?

"She came back, then," Lottie mumbled coolly. "She'd better not run into me. I don't think I'll ever be polite."

I sighed. "Love, forget about her, all right? I'm exhausted and in no right form to deal with any shit at the moment."