thirty eight

Please vote and comment and let me know what you think??? Thank you ^^

P.S this chapter is also Louis's POV bc I wrote it first in Lola's POV and didn't like it :/

We have two more chapters before the end! And then a two part Epilogue. :)

..

If someone had told me that I'd be catering to the girl who broke my heart so thoroughly, I'd have told them to fuck off. But now, as I knelt next to Lola's bed and worked to keep her temperature down, a sense of humor touched me. Also a tinge of sadness.

She was breathing heavily, eyes closed and mouth slightly open. Small, keening sounds escaped her and I didn't think it was possible for a heart to ache this much but mine was. I was replacing the rag on her forehead when she opened her eyes, and they were brimming with tears, quite red as well.

A sob broke from her. "L-Louis..."

I squeezed my eyes shut. Fuck. The way she said my name made me undone. "Shhhh." I pleaded, putting another cold rag on her forehead. I couldn't bear to hear my name from her lips. I was fighting for control enough as it is.

A few more times and I realized the rags weren't going to help at all. She was burning. I picked her up and she held the shirt tightly, face against my chest. I was in immense pain, holding her like this and knowing she wasn't mine. She started to protest when she realized my intentions.

"There's no other way," I coaxed. "Leave your clothes on if you want, but you're going to sit in cold water or I'm going to take you to the hospital. What do you want?"

I lowered her in the tub and she sighed, sniffling and putting the shirt she was holding on the edge. My shirt. I fought to ignore this fact but Christ, I couldn't. I opened the water and she squealed the moment the coldness touched her. I was faintly amused, but couldn't find it in me to smile at all. The whole situation was painful.

Lola was shivering, her clothes sticking to her body and as if my torture wasn't just enough as it is, I could see the shape of her cold, hard nipples beneath the thin t-shirt she was wearing. I looked away and swallowed, and when I felt I bit calm, I looked back to see her hugging her knees to her chest and rocking gently. Tears were streaming down her face, but her shivers were less and less. It seemed that to her, I didn't exist at all. She was in her own world, and I hated to remind her that I was still her, but I touched a hand to her forehead and found that the temperature was better, but still not cool enough. I ignored her wince and leaned against the marble sink, staring at my feet. It was so awkward to be here, and things were complicated between us, but I sent a silent thank you to whatever made me worried and urged me to check on her. I'd have been gutted if any thing happened to her.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I realized that it had to be Charlotte. "Yes, Love?"

Lola stilled. Had she thought I was talking to someone, I didn't really know.

"It's a tad complicated, Lottie," I sighed lowly, shooting a curious glance at Lola. She was still stoic, but I think it was mostly because I was speaking to my sister who confessed she no longer likes Lola at all. "I think it'd be better if you went to sleep, Love. I'll explain tomorrow."

"All right," Lottie sighed. "Don't be too late, okay?"

I smiled. Since when had she become the big sister? "I won't, darling. Goodnight."

I hung up and put my phone back in my pocket, clearing my throat. "Do you feel better?"

She jerked her head in agreement. I snatched two towels while she drained the water and stood, and tried--so fucking hard--not to stare at her body as I handed her the towels. She took them carefully, and I prayed that our fingers wouldn't touch because I was bent up enough as it is. I stood outside of the bathroom to give her privacy, then decided to get her something to drink rather than stay here and look like an idiot.