Chapter 42: I Love You

I stared unbelievably at her. What was she doing here. I turned around to look up at Noah's silver eyes. He seemed shaky, somewhat nervous.

Did he know his biological mother was coming? Why was she here? What did she want?

I stated at her for a second at her extended hand, waiting for me to shake it. I was speechless.

"I'm Noah's girlfriend." I said, my voice shaky as I reached for her hand to shake. I pulled my hand away and grabbed Noah's arm, intertwining our fingers as the warmth of his arm around my waist left.

This was getting really awkward.

"Why are you here?" Noah blurted out the question that was in all our minds.

"Noah!" His dad scolded as Claire looked at her handsome son.

"I wanted to see my children." She said confidently as she held her hand out for Noah to shake. He was hesitant to release his hand from my grasp and shake hers but he nervously did.

I could sense the nervousness coming off of him and I just wanted him to know that I was there for him.

He pulled his hand away from her grasp as though her hold on his hand had burned him.

"So who is hungry?" His mom asked, slicing through the awkward silence as everyone made their way to the dining room.

The small four seat table I'd seen before was replaced with a giant table able to seat 8 people.

I took a seat beside Noah as Kylie say beside me and her parents sitting beside her.

"So Noah, have you and your girlfriend had sex yet?" Claire asked bluntly. If things had been awkward before, they were to the point of nearly deadly awkward now. I blushed stating at the plate in front of me as though it were the most interesting thing ever.

"What's sex?" Kylie asked as Noah's mom placed a cup of orange juice in front of her.

"It's something you'll learn when your older sweety." He dad said as Noah's mom placed a piece of chicken onto everyone's plate.

"Uh, no, no we haven't." Noah said through what seemed like angry teeth. His fingers under the table began tracing meaningless shapes onto my bare thigh. I could hardly speak with all the emotion clouding my throat.

"So your name is Pure?" Claire, his biological mom asked as I nodded quietly, "what a unique name." She thought out loud as I took a sip of the water Noah's mom had given me.

"Noah and Pure, that had a nice ring to it for future wedding cards." I almost choked on my water.

"Claire. Let's not be too blunt." Kylie's mom said, giving her a warning look saying don't frighten the poor girl away.

"I'll go help mom in the kitchen." Noah said as he stood up, giving me an apologetic look. I wanted to laugh it was almost like he was saying sorry for leaving you with the monster.

"Well I'm sorry if you might think this is weird, but you children need to plan ahead. How long have you two been dating?" She asked curiously.

"Two weeks and a half." I said, feeling as though it had been longer since we'd been friends for almost a month before.

Noah came back with a bowl of salad and he passed it around the table and sat beside me as his mom brought in a lasagna. It smelled delicious and thankfully took our minds off of the marriage ideas his biological mom came up with.

"With all he respect Claire," Noah began, "Pure and I haven't graduated yet from high school and we're planning on completing college before anything else." He a said calmly.