Not Naomi

“Naomi!” Raph cried, coming over and picking her limp body up. He looked to Leo, “We gotta run to the lair, man. She won’t make it.”

Leo looked thoughtful. “Fine. Donnie!” a purple bandana Turtle appeared in the doorway. “Get this thing going, we’re going to run Naomi down.”

I looked at Naomi, helpless and bleeding out on the bottom left front shell where that dreaded bullet went through. Why did it have to be her, though? Without a warning, I started crying, sitting back on my feet with my hand up to my face. She protected me… She took the hit…

“Mikey! Sophie!” both Turtles appeared. “Help carry Naomi.”

“I’ve got her,” Raph said, getting up. She hung in his arms, limp like a rag doll. “But we’ve got to hurry.”

“I’ll stay here with Donnie.” Mikey choked out. “I’ll help him in any way he needs it.”

“Now way!” Donnie snapped, coming into view with already a few black smudges across his face. “Just go! I’ll be fine!”

“Let’s just go!” I snapped, getting up. Everyone nodded and jumped out. We all took a side around Raph. Leo and took front, Mikey took left, Sophia took right, and me back.

At full speed, we managed to get to a manhole cover that we knew connected to the lair. Sophie kicked it open and Raph handed Naomi to me, then climbed down. I set Naomi back in his arms then jumped after him as he headed away.

As Sophie jumped down after me, she asked, “Do you think she’ll be okay?”

Mikey closed the cover, “Did you not hear what she said to me?”

For once, I ignored him and looked at Sophie, “She’ll be fine. She’s Naomi, right?”

Sophie nodded. “Right.”

We ran down the tunnel after Raph. He was actually fast with the added weight of Naomi. Leo was behind him, keeping up with him, stride for stride. Finally, the lair’s subway entrance came into view.

“Master Splinter!” I cried out as I hit the stairs. “Help!”

Splinter’s head popped in from the dojo, took one look at Naomi in Raph’s arms and came running in. “What happened?” he demanded.

“Kraang. Window. Bullet. Shot. Naomi.” I breathed out, trying to catch my breath between my exhausted self and the tears trying to resurface.

Sophie went to go get bandages as Leo explained in long terms what happened to Splinter, “We were fighting the Kraang. Mikito lost concentration and a Kraang busted through where she was. Naomi protected her.”

A deep and anguished looked swiped across his face. He looked at me then Naomi who was groaning as Sophie put the bandages over the wound. Then it became serious once more, “Bring her into my room.”

Raph nodded and picked her up again, gently, and walked at a fast pace with Splinter to the room behind the sliding doors. Sophie stood back, out of breath and looking worried.

Leo came up behind her and touched her shoulder. Looking back at him, Sophie had tears tugging down her bandana then hugged him close. Not sure what to do, Leo just hugged her back.

Mikey, on the other hand, came up beside me and whispered, “I hope she’ll be okay.”

I looked at him. “She’s Naomi. I’m sure she’ll be fine…”

He looked at me with his light blue eyes. It crushed me. I started crying and fell into his arms as well.

“She can’t do this…” I sniffled. “She can’t…”

The sliding doors opened up once again and Raph came out, his head lowered. We all looked at him. Looking up, his green eyes were troubled. Darker red streaks were under his eyes as tears flowed down his bandana. His front shell had some red smears from carrying Naomi while his hands were soaked with it.

Donnie rushed in about now, “Will she be okay?”

Raph looked at the floor once again, “Sensei said that it would be a miracle if she survived the night….”