23. I told you

I was sitting in the waiting lobby. Mack, Drew and Jared had gone back to Woodstreet, but I decided to stay the night. It was Monday morning. I already called to sir Kentucci and said I wouldn't show up today. I hope he found a supply teacher.

I heard footsteps. It was the brothers. "Anything?" Drew asked.

I shook my head for no. "He got into a surgery. That's all i know" my voice sound fragile, broken.

"He'll be okay" Mack said.

"I hope" I muttered.

I had no idea what I would do without Chester. I was already heart broken of him in danger of dying. I was so mad at Sean, but also at Andrew. Like Sean said, he was Judas in my team. I should have seen it earlier. It was obvious why he wasn't around that much, he was helping Sean. It made my blood boil out of anger.

We all waited for hours. It was already 1pm when a doctor came to us.

"He's okay. Sleeping right now in the room 203" he said, leaving.

"Thank god" I said, tears falling because of the relief. I felt a hand rub my shoulder. I turned around to see Drew giving me a warm smile.

We all three walked to Chester's room, he was sleeping like the doctor said. I sighed deeply.

I felt blessed that he was alive.

It didn't take long, when Chester muttered "How long you've been waiting?"

"Chester, you should sleep" I said, grabbing his hand.

"I'm not tired or sleepy" he smiled.

"Mike was here for the whole night" Drew said.

"Do you know where Andrew is? I'm going to kill that motherfucker" Chester growled, attempting to get up.

I pushed him back down. "Don't get up. You need to rest"

"I'm fine" he muttered.

"You're not. You've been stabbed" I said, holding him down.

"I'm not shot, i'm not dead. I was stabbed, and now i'm fine. I don't wanna be here anymore" he growled, pushing my hands away and sitting up. He groaned out of pain. He ripped the water drop out of his hand and began to pull his hospital shirt off.

"Chester! You can't just leave" I said.

"Watch me" he mocked harshly. His behaviour was reminding me from Chester's first day in my class. Harsh.

"Has he always been like this?" I asked from Drew.

"Yeah. He's kind of person that if I told him to jump off the bridge, he'd ask 'how high?' you know what i'm saying" he shrugged.

Chester stood up, changing his jeans, pulling shirt and jacket on.

"Okay, let's go" he muttered, holding the bandaged and stitched wound.

"Chester, you're hurting yourself. You should stay here for a bit longer" I insisted.

"I'm fine. I'm leaving" he said in a stubborn voice, leaving the room.

We followed him.

"I need a cigarette. And food" he said, as we entered the elevator.

"There you go" Drew offered the cigarette. Chester thanked him and put the smoke behind his ear.

"I can make you something when we get home" I said.

He nodded. We exited the hospital and walked to the van.

"Shotgun!" Mack yelled.

"You bitch, this is my car" Chester said.

"Awww i'm sorry, maybe next time, princess" Mack laughed. "Seriously, you should lay down, not sit"

Chester rolled his eyes and we crawled to the van's back. We sat on the floor, and I wrapped the hand over Chester. Drew was driving.

"This is not going to end well" I muttered to him.

"Mike, stop. It's okay" Chester, kissing my lips. He smiled and lowered himself on my lap.

"You should be at work" he said.

"You're more important" I said, stroking gently his hair.

I knew he was smiling.

> Time jump: evening of the same day <

Mack and Drew had done an amazing surprise for Chester. They had gotten a new bed for him, which wasn't just on the floor. Since Chester can't bend down, it was easier to him to get in bed.

And, now the pain is worse. I knew this was going to happen.

"If you fucking say 'i told you' i will murder you" Chester groaned in the bed.

"This is what you get for being stubborn" I chuckled.

"Really not funny, Mike. It hurts fucking much" Chester said.

"Mack is coming soon. He has morphine for you" I said sighing.

"Good" he muttered, holding his stomach.

I decided to go downstairs to see if Mack had already come. I walked to the basement, and saw Jared working behind the bar desk.

"Jared! Have you seen Mack?" I asked.

"Yeah. He left this. He had to leave to get more beer, so here you go" Jared said, handing me a small paper bag.

I walked back to Chester. I went to his room and threw the bag for him. "10mg in every 4 hours. It's pure morphine, you can't use more than that"

"What, you don't trust me that I can use this right?" Chester frowned.

"I can't risk it" I shrugged, "that's why I will keep it on myself until you won't need it anymore"

"You gotta be kidding me" Chester laughed.

"Look at my face and tell me if i'm joking" I said, looking at him deeply in his eyes.

"You're serious"

"I'm dead serious. You almost died, you're in pain. I don't want you to start using drugs again" I said, sitting on the bed next to him.

He sighed. "Okay"

I watched as he put the morphine shot into his vein.

"Were you scared?" I asked, almost suddenly.

Chester looked at me. "When?"

"When you were bleeding, pale, in my arms as we were going to hospital. You were dying. Were you scared?"

He sighed. "No. I just didn't want to die, but I was not scared"

I nodded.

"I used to be scared of death. You know, you can remove fears by facing them. It worked" he said, quietly.

I kept looking at him. "You mean, that, you?"

"Yeah" he nodded. "I was sixteen. When I woke up in the hospital, i knew i wasn't scared anymore" he spoke, and few tears fell down his cheeks.

"Hey, Chester" I said, crawling next to him, pulling him into my arms. "It's okay now"

"That's why I wanted to leave the hospital so soon. I know I shouldn't have left, but it reminds me of those suicide attempts i did when I was a teenager. You know i had rough time back then.. After Brian and mom died, dad started to drink. He was always drunk" he said, sobbing.

"Yes, I know" I kissed his forehead. "I'm glad you didn't success"

"Yeah, me too" he muttered, closing his eyes.

"Is this hurting you?" I asked.

"No, this is good. I might take a nap" he muttered.

My chest was Chester's pillow, and I smiled at him.

He's gonna be okay.