Chapter Two

Later that evening, two men brought the initiates, Thea and Nikandros, to the middle of the camp. Everyone had gathered around a fire, including the Master. He nodded to them in greeting and pointed to a stone bench in the middle of the clearing, near the fire. "Welcome, initiates. Please, one of you come forward so we may begin the process."

Thea pushed Nikandros forward with a gentle nudge. Nikandros drew himself up to his full height and walked over to the stone bench.

The master stood up and neared, "We have all gathered here to welcome a new brother and sister into our midst. They have been training with us almost all their lives for this moment. Now, stretch out your right hand, Nikandros." He commanded. Nikandros obeyed and stretched out his hand. The Master grabbed it and turned it palm up. Another man pulled an iron brand out of the fire and handed it to the Master. "With great honor," the Master raised the brand above Nikandros hands, "I bring Nikandros officially into the League of Assassins." He pushed the brand deep into the palm of Nikandros' hand and held it steady. A sizzling hiss sounded from his hand. Nikandros resisted the urge to scream and yank his hand away. The Master watched Nikandros closely before lifting the brand off his hand. In place, the mark of Assassins was left. It sizzled red in the firelight compared to the rest of Nikandros' hand. "Welcome him, brothers and sisters!" The Master declared. Shouts and whoops surrounded the camp and everyone lifted their hands in celebration. Nikandros allowed himself a smile. The master placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder and led him from the clearing. "Thea, please come forward now."

Thea swallowed the lump in her throat and stepped forward towards the bench. She repeated what Nikandros had done and held out her right hand.

After a couple of minutes back in the fire, the brand was glowing again. The Master brought it near, "With great honor," the Master raised the brand above Thea's hand, "I bring Thea officially into the League of Assassins." Again, he pushed the brand deep into the palm of Thea's hand. She stiffened and held the scream that rose in her throat down. The Master watched her closely before lifting the brand off. In place, the same mark of Assassins that was placed on Nikandros was left. It also sizzled red in the firelight. "Welcome her, brothers and sisters!" The Master declared. Shouts and whoops surrounded the camp once again and everyone lifted their hands in celebration for their new sister. Thea smiled inside. 'I am finally an assassin!'

Nikandros clapped and grinned once Thea's branding was finished. When Thea was standing next to him, he murmured, "Nice job. Apparently there wasn't a test." He added, "Didn't you want to scream?"

Thea nodded, slightly embarrassed, "Yes, it didn't feel too good...you?"

Nikondros nodded, "I wanted to scream." He admitted.

Thea shook a little, "That was nerve wracking." She smiled.

The rest of the night went by swiftly. The whole camp celebrated with a feast. When it was late, everyone had gone to bed. Thea said goodnight to Nikandros and retired to her tent. Nikandros smiled as Thea went into her tent. Then, he went into his tent and slept.

And that is chapter two!
If you enjoyed the second chapter for Against all Odds, then please vote, comment, or follow:) thanks!

Writers:
Thea -- Ithildae
Nikandros -- Evara
The Master -- Ithildae

Love,
Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )