Chapter Twenty-One

After the man put her down and left, she scooted over to Nikandros. "Don't be a grump." She teased with a sloppy smile.

Nikandros stood abruptly and walked off into the woods. Thea looked down at her hands, admitting defeat.

Not a minute later, one of Hammond's men walked into the camp, his sword to the neck of a young man.

Thea looked up and gasped, recognizing the person's identity. It was the prince of Gondor, Ulric.

Ulric's eyes widened for a split second at seeing the assassin before his expression hardened and he looked straight ahead.

Hammond walked over, curious, "What's going on?"

The man pushed Ulric closer, "Found this one snooping near the camp, Sir. He won't say anything." He answered.

"Hmm...who are you, stranger?" Hammond questioned Ulric.

Ulric thought quickly, "I am called Halas." He lied, fearing if he told them who he really was they would ransom him. Ulric's outward appearance gave away nothing that he was lying.

Hammond seemed to except this, "Why were you snooping near our camp?"

"I didn't mean to snoop, sir." Ulric said quickly.

"Oh really..." Suddenly, Hammond pointed at Thea, "Do you know her?"

Ulric pretended to think for a moment, "I'm not sure. I don't think so." He hoped that the assassin did not recognize him, although the prince's features were not ones that could be easily fogotten.

Thea frowned at Ulric. She limped over, keeping her jaw clenched to avoid crying out. "Hammond..."

Ulric struggled inwardly not to shift his weight or do anything that would make him look conspicuous.

"I would like to introduce you to the prince." She announced.

Ulric flashed an angry glance at Thea, but then straightened. He shrugged inwardly, 'Might as well look the part.'

"Ahh! I thought I knew you!" Hammond grinned, "Why didn't you say so in the first place, your Majesty?" He chuckled softly.

Ulric let a small smile show through, "Ah, well..." He trailed off awkwardly, "I wasn't exactly sure who you were..."

"Well we're not well known," Hammond waved his hand around, gesturing around the camp, "but I would like to introduce you to the Gondorian Rebels."

"Rebels?" Ulric asked, before he could stop himself.

"So you haven't heard..." Hammond mused, "Well, we are the group that banded together for one purpose. To kill your father. I don't know if you've noticed, Prince, but many of the people are starving."

"What?" Ulric gaped.

"Well no disrespect, but the king is pretty bad at his job..."

"None taken. I agree." Ulric said. Then, he half regretted saying it, and felt he should have been more reserved.

"Sir, if you don't mind me asking," Hammond changed the subject, "why are you out here by yourself?"

Ulric allowed himself a grim smile, "I am not exactly on the best terms with the king."

"Well, it's none of my business so I'll leave it at that. Anyway, you are certainly welcome to stay with us, but if you leave we have to make sure you won't tell anyone about us or where we are." Hammond pointed out.

Sameil walked over to the group, his mask now removed. He had a quite youthful face, but it reflected several manly qualities. He smiled at Thea, "You should probably rest, my Lady. Why don't I help you over to where you can sit?"