Chapter Twenty-Four

Entering the forest, he glanced around suddenly, to catch anyone who might be following him. Seeing no one, Markis kept walking. After a few minutes, he suddenly turned again, seeing if he could catch anyone. He took two steps and then jerked his head around to look, but only green forest was there. Satisfied, Markis kept walking. For safety reasons, after a few minutes Markis checked again, by jerking around suddenly, but no one was there. Markis started jogging, making zig-zag patterns, and keeping his foot steps light to avoid leaving a trail.

Finally, tired and worn, Markis arrived at the camp. He searched out Hammond, and held out his clenched hand, "Here is the money, Sir."

"Good. You got everything he asked for?" Hammond took the coins from his hand and stuffed them back in his tunic.

Markis nodded, "The fruit seller took a bit of haggling on my part to be reasonable, but," he held up the fruit, "I got seven pears and six apples for Nikandros. I also ordered the dress. You wouldn't believe how many options there are!" Markis exclaimed.

Hammond chuckled, "I'm sure I wouldn't. I can't believe you actually ordered a woman's dress." He burst out laughing.

Markis glared darkly at Hammond, "Nikandros wanted me too!" He exclaimed.

"Yep, that's why I sent you and didn't go myself."

Markis glowered inside, "Is there anything else?" he asked, switching the subject.

"Nope. Good job." Hammond pulled out one of the extra coins and handed it to Markis, "Here, thanks for doing that."

"Thank you." Markis bowed, took the coin, and left. Deciding he should report to Nikandros as well, he headed over to where the assassins were.

"Sir?" Markis called out uncertainly.

Nikandros looked up and gave Markis a tired smile, "Ah, Markis. Any success?"

Markis nodded and displayed the fruit. "Seven pears and six apples." He announced, and handed Nikandros the extra money, "I made sure there was some money left over."

"Thank you. Did you order the dress?" He added in a whisper.

Markis nodded and related the details to Nikandros.

Nikandros broke out into a grin, "Perfect! I don't want Thea to know, so please don't mention it to her."

Markis nodded, "Not a word."

"Thank you."

"My pleasure." Markis piled the fruit on the ground, turned, and walked away to his own area.

Nikandros gathered the fruit and placed them next to him. He smiled tenderly at his sleeping fiancée, "This wedding will be a success." Nikandros whispered.

Thea stirred, a peaceful expression displayed across her dirty face. She opened her eyes and smiled, "Were you watching me sleep?"

Nikandros smiled, "Only for a little." He picked up a fruit and showed Thea, "Markis came back with the fruit."

"Wonderful! But how did you pay for it? Or was it stolen?" Thea coughed quietly, trying to clear her throat.

"Not stolen." Nikandros assured, "I had a little money." He handed her a rag to cough into, "If you need."

She nodded, "Thanks. Can you help me stand up?"

"You should probably rest, Thea."

"No. I've rested enough. Besides, I stink. I want to bathe." Thea insisted.

"Alright." Nikandros surrendered, and offered his hand to help her.

She managed to get to her feet and chuckled, "Wow, I never thought I'd be here a week ago..."

Nikandros nodded in agreement. "We can ask Hammond where we can bathe."

Thea raised an eyebrow, "Excuse me? There is no 'we' in this, Hon."

"No!" Nikandros exclaimed, "I meant after you were done!"

"Okay then..." She grinned mischievously. She walked slowly towards Hammond. "Hey, is there a river or pond nearby that I may bathe in?"

"Yes, of course. There's a slow river near here..." He pointed right behind them, "right through there. But be careful."

"Yes, Thea." Nikandros looked seriously at her, "Please be careful."

She sighed, "Okay, don't worry." With that, she headed away before Nikandros could change his mind.

Twenty minutes later, Thea walked back into camp, feeling fresh and much cleaner. Her hair was damp and she paused to wring it out onto the ground. After, she made a sweeping gesture with her arm to Nikandros, "Your turn, Nik." She called.

Nikandros nodded, "Thanks." He jogged past Thea headed towards the river. He washed his clothes, bathed, and then got into his clothes again, leaving his shirt off.

"Oh." Was all Nikandros could say when he saw the place his ribs had been broken. The skin different shades of blue and purple from bruising. "Ouch." He grimaced and put his tunic back on. He started jogging back to the camp. Locating Thea quickly, he went to her side.

She was standing near Sameil, a pleasant smile splayed across her face. When Nikandros was beside her, she swung her arms around him and breathed deeply into his chest, "Mmm...you smell so much better now." She noted.

"You do too." He teased, and kissed her once on the lips.

She pulled back, pursing her lips tightly, "Excuse me? Are you saying I didn't smell good before?" Thea played along.

"You just smell better now, that's all." He grinned.

Sameil looked awkwardly around the camp, trying to avoid watching the couple. "I'll...just leave you two alone..." He slowly backed away.

Thea giggled, "Poor Sameil..."

Nikandros smiled at Thea, "So, what do you want at our wedding?" He asked.

"All I want is you to be there, Nik." Thea said into Nikandros' chest, making it slightly muffled.

"Well," Nikandros said, "as the groom, I believe it's required." He teased.

"Let's hope so..." Thea smiled even brighter, "I can't wait for it. Nothing else seems to matter now." She sighed, but it was suddenly disrupted by a quiet moan. "I...Nik, I'm starting to feel worse. Maybe I should lie down..." She wobbled slightly before going completely limp.

Nikandros caught her and slowly lowered her to the ground. "Oh, Thea." He gently pushed her hair away from her face.

"I-I'm fine. Really. Just...tired." Thea said groggily.

Nikandros gently picked Thea up bridal style and carried her back to their area. He laid her down gently on the blanket. "You okay?"

"I'm," she coughed, "just tired..." She grimaced slightly.

"Then rest." Nikandros patted her shoulder gently.

"Aww, but we were...having so much fun." She whined playfully. "What about one more kiss?"

"One more." Nikandros smiled, and encircled Thea in his arms and kissed her, "I love you, Thea. So much."

"I love you too, my sweet Nik." She grinned in triumph before closing her eyes. Nikandros released Thea and leaned against a nearby tree.

Greetings! Hello! Welcome! Hi! Yo! Hey!

Heehee, I hope you liked this chapter everyone!!!! If you did, then let me know by spreading some love and voting!

You reading this is greatly appreciated!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris

Writers:
Sameil: Ithildae
Hammond: Ithildae
Nikandros: Evara
Thea: Ithildae