Chapter Eighteen

Ulric thought quickly about where he should go. He had just left Xene's room. Glancing around, he darted down to the dungeon. Being as quiet as possible, he went deeper into the dungeons. He heard faint talking, and crept closer, curious.

He had heard sobbing, and then, "Nik, you are dying. Can you see yourself? H-how are you even awake?"

His eyes widened as he realized the assassins were talking. Being as silent as possible, he pressed himself to the wall and listened intently to the conversation. He heard the words, "Don't come back for me." And wondered at the assassin. Nikandros would let himself die for his partner's life?

"No, Nikandros. I'm not going to escape." Thea stated defiantly. "It's too late. Besides, I couldn't even if I wanted to." She added much quieter.

"Thea! If you have the chance, you have to escape. Promise me that." He pleaded.

"No. I'm not leaving you." She decided firmly. A lone hiccup echoed in her cell. She was silent for a few moments before looking at Nikandros, "I...I don't want to die, Nik." Thea struggled to keep from crying.

Nikandros closed his eyes and struggled to compose himself, "Thea..." He knew what he was going to say was crazy, but he couldn't bear to see Thea like this, "maybe we should speak."

Ulric thought about what that would mean. He had heard them say they had a master, but he wondered what else they would say.

Thea wiped her moist eyes, "Okay...?"

"Well, what do you think?" Nikandros prodded, "Maybe I'm not thinking straight though." He frowned.

"Will that really help us?" She sniffled, her nose plugged from crying.

"Maybe, but before we say anything, we need to make the terms clear."

"I don't think we are really in the position to make any terms, Nik..."

"Would you want to tell him?" He asked again.

Before Thea could answer, Ulric decided to show himself. He stepped out where Thea and Nikandros could see him.

Thea's eyes widened and she scowled, "You were spying on us!" She stated incredulously.

"I was listening, yes." He admitted, "And please keep your voice down." He sighed, "You said," he gestured at Nikandros, who was glaring hard at him, "that you may want to speak in return for your freedom." Nikandros said nothing, and Ulric continued, "I may be able to arrange that. You tell me what I want to know, and I'll release you." He raised an eyebrow at Thea, seeing if she agreed.

"How dare...you listen to our personal conversation!" Her voice rose from a growl to almost a shout, ignoring his cautionary tone. She felt very exposed and regretted showing her true feelings. She glared daggers at Ulric.

Ulric sighed, "Do you want a way out of here or not?" He asked in a low tone.

Thea quieted down, "Nik, if you think that's what is best..." She sighed, but a dry cough cut through it, "then go ahead."

Nikandros stared darkly at Ulric. He hesitated and glanced at Thea, "I'm not sure."

"How do we know you won't go back on your word?" She questioned.

Ulric straightened, "I am the crown prince of Gondor. I shall keep my word."

Thea laughed dryly, "Well...I'm totally convinced." She answered sarcastically.

Ulric stared at Thea hard. "Are you doubting my word?" He asked.

Thea stood up with great difficulty and walked over to the door, "What do you think?" She tilted her head in a 'seriously?' Expression.