Chapter Five

It was completely dark outside except for the occasional torch when they arrived. Thea and Nikandros snuck around the castle until they were out of sight to the entrance.

Before they began climbing, Thea whispered to Nikandros, "You stay down here in case trouble comes. I'll do it quickly and be right back. There is no sense in us both climbing up." She reasoned.

Nikondros frowned, "Are you sure?" He whispered back,

"Yes!" Thea whispered fiercely, "I'll be fine."

"Alright...three whistles is you're alright, and two is you're in distress." Nikandros instructed. Thea gave him a thumbs up and headed up the castle. She carefully climbed up the smooth stone, inch by inch until she had disappeared over the side.

Prince Ulric relaxed into the chair in his room. He sighed and closed his eyes. It had been a busy day at court and he was exhausted. Ulric got up and went to his window that looked out over the city of Gondor. It would be his city soon, he realized. Ulric backed away from the window and started to get ready to retire.

Thea peeked in the window cautiously. She ducked back down when she saw someone in the room. After waiting a minute or so, she checked again. The man had his back to her so she quietly climbed into the window and hid behind a desk. Thankfully, the room was fairly dark so she blended right in. Ulric sat down on his bed and removed his boots, not noticing Thea.

Thea watched him carefully as he prepared for bed. 'It would be wise to wait until he is in bed, at least.' She decided inwardly, realizing that the man was her target.

Ulric opened the bed covers and climbed into the bed, pulling the blankets over himself. As soon as he closed his eyes, Thea snuck closer. She quietly unsheathed her sword and steadily held it over his neck.

Ulric turned over onto his back, trying to get comfortable. He froze for a moment, seeing the blade held above his neck, but only for a moment. His reflexes, which had been trained by many years of practice, reacted and he rolled off the bed to grab his sword, which he always kept near. Ulric unsheathed the sword and whirled around to face Thea. "Guards!" He yelled.

Thea frowned beneath her mask and held her sword up. She decided to wait before calling Nikandros. She didn't need him yet.

The door opened with a bang and a guard hurried in. His eyes widened upon seeing the masked figure challenging his Prince, "My lord...?"

Thea realized she could wait no longer. She sent two sharp whistles towards the window, signaling for Nikandros.

"Call for more guards." Ulric ordered the guard calmly, keeping his gaze fixed on Thea. The guard hurried off.

Nikandros heard the two blasts and quickly scaled the wall. He leaped up into the tower and unsheathed his sword.

Ulric turned sharply to see the new threat that had appeared after only a few minutes. He guessed that the whistle had been a signal between them. "What do you want?" He asked sharply. Thea didn't answer and while the prince stared at Nikandros, she swung her sword at him. Ulric blocked it easily. He had had years of practice in swordplay and it came naturally to him.

Nikandros lunged at Ulric, and was also blocked. While Nikandros was fighting the prince, Thea ran over to the door and locked it. She turned back to the prince and relieved Nikandros, swinging her blade at Ulric. Even though she was blocked with every blow, Thea was determined to tire him out.

Ulric realized what she was doing and was determined to win this. He managed to get Nikandros and Thea both on one side of him. Ulric was a clever thinker, and he pretended to get tired, giving ground before the two assassins. Eventually he was backed up against the door. Quick as lightning, he unlocked the door. Then, he proceeded to hold Nikandros and Thea off. Once the door was unlocked, it only took a few more minutes before ten guards rushed into the room, pushing the assassins towards the window.

Thea looked at Nikandros, worriedly. Nikandros glanced at her and then at the window. She nodded and thrust her sword forward, pushing back the soldiers a little, giving them room to escape.

Nikandros stepped in front of Thea, jabbing at the soldiers to keep them at bay, giving Thea time to get out of the room.

Thea rolled her eyes and shoved him back. Sending him a quick glare that certainly meant, 'Get out of here, fool! I'll be right behind you.'

Nikandros frowned, jabbed at the soldiers again, and leaped to the window. He grabbed the stone with both hands, and began to climb downwards stopping a while down to make sure Thea was following.

Thea grabbed a nearby vase and threw it at the soldiers. Using the distraction, she climbed out the window after Nikandros.

Ulric ran to the window to see Thea and Nikandros climbing down the castle. His eyebrow's met in a V and he ordered the guards, "Don't sound the alarm, just get a group of soldiers and go after them. Order the gates to be closed." Ulric strapped the sword's sheath belt around himself and sheathed his sword. Then, he went down the stairs with the soldiers. The soldiers hurried and followed their prince's orders swiftly.

When Thea and Nikandros had made it off the castle, Thea caught her breath for a short moment, "Ugh, I am so stupid. Sorry, Nikandros..." Thea scolded herself.

"Shush, we need to get out of here and it's not your fault." Nikandros said quickly and started sprinting towards the gate. Thea followed suite.

Unfortunately, the gate had just been closed as they neared. Thea scowled and looked to Nikandros for a suggestion, "We probably have a minute or so before the guards find us. What should we do?"

Nikandros thought quickly, "Scale the wall." He frowned.

"Okay..." Thea obeyed uncertainly. She managed to get three fourths of the way up before two arrows whizzed past her face and stuck into the wooden wall. She gulped and continued climbing faster, hoping Nikandros was okay.

Nikandros started to climb up the wall after Thea. An arrow whizzed through the air and embedded itself into Nikandros' leg. He cried out in pain but held onto the wall. Trying to maintain a steady grip, he continued climbing, avoiding using his injured leg.

Thea heard his cry and looked down. He was right beneath her and to Thea's horror, there was an arrow in his leg. She froze, watching him carefully.

Snapping out of it, Thea climbed down lower until she was even with Nikandros. She grimaced as the wound bled excessively. "Here, hold onto me." She commanded.

Nikandros grunted in recognition and leaned on Thea. Together, they made their way slowly up the wall. Thea was finally pulling her arms up to the top when another of the multiple arrows found its target. It struck Thea in the hand causing her to let go in pain. Unable to hold both her own and Nikandros' weight with only one hand, Thea's hand slipped and they started falling off the wall. The two companions landed on the ground with a thud, Thea on top of Nikandros. She heard a crack before the body beneath her went limp.

Here's chapter five for you, my wonderful readers! If you enjoyed it, then please vote, comment, or follow:) thanks! <3

Writers:
Thea -- Ithildae
Nikandros -- Evara
Ulric -- Evara
Guards -- Ithildae

Love,
Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )