Chapter Seventeen

In the throne room, King Degore was thinking through what his son had said to him. 'This is excessive...' Those words rang in his mind over and over again. He widened his eyes in realization, this was ridiculous!

Two men were still holding Nikandros' limp and bloody form up between them while the third waited for orders. The king frowned and stepped off his throne towards his prisoner. Slowly, he lifted up Nikandros' chin as to look him in the eye, "Just answer one question, then I will be done with you. Who sent you?"

"D-youthink..." Nikandros' words were slurred. He struggled to not give in, "...I would-tell you?"

"This is more than a matter of principle...I am curious to know who holds your allegiance. And, if you remain true to them, why do they not come try to help you?" Degore pointed out.

Nikandros glared at the king, "I...won't tell you anything." He took a shaky breath. "I won't s-say if I'm working for someone, or if I am not w-working for...someone."

King Degore sighed frustratedly, "Fine. Don't speak. You will die either way." He dropped Nikandros' chin, "Take him away. Make sure his chains are tight and are attached to the roof of his cell. I don't want him having any relief!" He shouted, "If I come down there later and if even his toes are touching the ground, someone will be punished!" The guards nodded and hurriedly, so as to escape the king's wrath, dragged their charge away.

"Wait!" Nikandros said weakly, "I...c-can stand. Please!" He begged the guards. The guards ignored him and continued swiftly down to the dungeons.

They tossed him onto the floor when inside his cell, one watching him carefully while the other prepared the chains.

The guards hoisted him up and tightly secured the cold metal around his limp wrists. When they let go, he sagged off the ground, barely a foot from the floor.

"Please." He begged, "Let me touch."

One of the guards left right away, but the other lingered behind. A look of sympathy covered his youthful face, "I'm sorry, Master Assassin. These are our orders." He began to turn away, but stopped, "I don't understand...why don't you just tell the king what he wants to know?" Nikandros ignored the question, realizing if he said something, he could give something away. "I do not approve of the king's methods, but still...murder is a horrible crime in Gondor."

"Well...I d-don't approve of his methods either..." Nikandros was in so much pain he wanted to scream.

The guard shrugged before walking out and slamming the door shut.

A moment after he could no longer be heard heading away, Thea gripped the bars separating her from Nikandros. A look of disbelief and horror covered her face. She didn't even try to hide it or mask the fear evident in her voice, "Nik...oh...what did they do to you?"

"I'm. Fine." Nikandros lied through gritted teeth.

Thea held back a sob and sank to the floor weakly, "Thi-is isn't...it doesn't...I..." She struggled to find the right words, "Nik, you are dying. Can you see yourself? H-how are you even awake?"

"I feel on the verge of going unconscious, but I don't think I will yet." Nikandros told her, "And Thea, I'll be fine."

"No, you won't! Can't you see? We are going to die here and nothing is going to change that!" She sobbed. "Stop lying to yourself!"

In truth, Nikandros knew he was dying, he just didn't want Thea to have this pain. "Thea. You need to escape. Get out of here as soon as you can, and don't. Come back. For...me."

Hello my wonderful readers! Yes...I know this wasn't a very long chapter...and it was also still sad, but hang in there! (Like Nikandros! Pun intended)

Also, don't forget to fill that beautiful star button and spread that love! Thanks!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris

Writers:
Thea - Ithildae
Nikandros - Evara
Xene - Aris
Degore - Ithildae
Ulric - Evara
Fendrel - Ithildae
Guards - Evara and Ithildae