Chapter Thirteen

When they arrived, The King was waiting for them. Degore frowned, "What happened, my son?"

Ulric sighed tiredly, "The prisoners escaped, but," he added, "it's taken care of."

"What?" The King cried, "How did you get injured?"

"Well, it came about that the prisoners had a sword at my neck, and Fendrel threw his sword, injured the prisoner, and the prisoner stabbed me in the leg." Ulric grimaced remembering the pain.

"Which one?" Degore asked lowly.

"The boy." Ulric replied, "But don't injure him. We need him in good condition for selling."

"I've changed my mind. They have been too much trouble for us. Slavery is too good for them." The King decided.

"Then what do you have planned?" Ulric questioned.

"Death. They have shown me time and time again that they deserve it." The King helped Ulric sit down at the edge of his bed as a doctor entered to fix up his leg.

Ulric nodded, "Alright, father."

A knock sounded on the door. "Ulric? Are you in there?" A female voice floated in from outside the door.

Ulric's face lit up with a smile, "Xene?" He asked.

The door opened and she popped in. Xene curtsied to the King. "Your majesty."

"Hello." Degore greeted. He left without another word, leaving the two friends to talk.

Turning towards Ulric, Xene frowned. "You look terrible! What happened?" She asked, concerned.

Before Ulric had a chance to answer, the guard that helped him to his room burst in without knocking. "My lord, I'm sorry for intruding, but..." He tried to get is breathing under control, "the prisoner, sir, she's...she's having a seizure. The guards don't know what to do, but I think she's dying." He finished hurriedly.

Ulric stood up quickly, wincing in pain as he put weight on his injured leg, "Bring me to her." He ordered.

"Yes, sir." The guard helped Ulric walk down to the dungeon as fast as he could. Instantly, Ulric spotted where Thea was. A group of guards were gathered around the entrance of a cell, looking quite alarmed. Ulric walked over and looked in the cell. Thea was thrashing about on the ground, a circle of guards surrounding her. They all looked uncertain and upon seeing the prince, they made a pathway to her. Ulric knelt by Thea, and examined her condition. She seemed unconscious and totally incoherent. Suddenly, her hand shot out and smacked him in the stomach. Blood ran down her face from her cuts opening again from Fendrel. Thea thrashed about on the floor, unable to control her actions and unaware of them.

Ulric grunted from the blow, and called for the guards to restrain her. Two stepped forward uncertainly and pinned her to the floor. She calmed slightly, but didn't wake up.

"Keep her restrained." He ordered.

A minute later, Thea's struggles ceased and she opened her eyes. They filled with fear when she noticed Ulric staring down at her. She visibly tried to jerk away.

"Calm down, prisoner." Ulric said with no emotion.

Thea took a deep, shaky breath and scowled, "Wh-what's going on?" She asked venomously.

"You were having a seizure." Ulric explained. He stood up, "Everyone get out of her cell." He ordered. Everyone filed out of the cell and the door was shut and locked. A faint sigh could be heard from Thea as she remained on the cold stone. Ulric ignored the sigh and headed to check on the other prisoner.