Chapter Forty-Three

"Was that so bad?" Nikandros asked Thea once she was gone.

Thea glared at her husband and frowned, "I will not dignify that with an answer."

Nikandros chuckled and let out a deep breath, "Does it feel better at least?"

She nodded slowly. Suddenly, an idea struck her, "Nikandros..." She spoke slowly, trying to think things through, "would it be possible to escape?"

Nikandros frowned, weighing the possibility, "Well," he said slowly, "probably not. There are too many guards. Unless," he paused thoughtfully, "if we could somehow get away from the guards, we could sneak out with a party as they leave. But we would have to escape together. We don't want the same thing happening again."

Thea considered his words thoughtfully, "That might perhaps work if-" she didn't finish as just then, the door was unlocked and opened.

Legolas walked in with several other elves and looked strangely at Thea, who was still on the ground, "What happened? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. It's none of your concern." Thea answered, not feeling in the mood to be social or kind.

Nikandros looked up and gave a quick smile, "She's alright. The healer was already here."

Legolas nodded slowly, "Alright then." The assassins noticed something in his eyes, apprehension. He seemed unsure of what to do and shuffled his feet. "Well...my fa-the King..." He cleared his throat and started again, "Tauriel, the captain of the guard, informed the King of what you tried to do," he looked at Thea when he said that, "and he was not pleased. Unfortunately he requests that she be bound till we leave. I'm sorry."

Thea's eyes widened. Nikandros stepped up quickly, "Is that necessary? She won't do anything like that again, I can promise you that." He shot a warning look at Thea, "I will make sure of it."

"I am sorry, but I cannot disobey an order..." Legolas looked like he honestly meant what he said.

Nikandros' eyebrows met, "We are already trapped in here. How is tying her up necessary?" He asked heatedly.

"She did attack my captain." Legolas pointed out.

"She asked for it." Thea muttered.

Legolas shot her a glare.

"Well, if your captain doesn't come in here any more, then Thea will be fine and not cause trouble." He carefully pronounced the last three words, telling Thea as much as he was telling Legolas.

"That doesn't matter. King Thranduil doesn't believe she can have enough...self control." Legolas cocked an eyebrow at Thea, almost in a challenge.

Thea's eyes narrowed, but she remained silent. Nikandros straightened, "Your captain," stressing the word, "and my wife don't get along very well. So," he continued, "If your captain doesn't come in here, it will be fine."

"As I have clearly stated, I can not bypass an order because you think she won't do it again." Legolas walked closer and took a length of elven rope from one of the guard's hands, "Are you going to cooperate?" He directed the question at both Nikandros and Thea.

"Alright." Nikandros said through clenched teeth, "Thea..." He left it hanging in a warning not to do anything stupid.

Thea looked at Nikandros in shock, not believing what she clearly heard. Finally, she snapped out of her stupor and begrudgingly stood up.

Legolas walked up to her and gestured for her to hold her hands out in front of her.

She sighed, but obeyed.