Chapter Forty

When Thranduil arrived at the dungeon halls, he headed straight to the cell where Nikandros was being held.

"I think it would comfort you to know that your wife was convinced to go through a surgery to help heal her." he said in a voice that was neither friendly nor hostile.

Nikandros stood up, looking a little worried, "She had to be convinced?"

Thranduil regarded him for a few seconds then said, "Yes, she did. But as soon as I told her that she didn't have long to live unless she had the surgery, she agreed. Anyway, I actually came here to tell you that when your wife recovers, assuming she does, you will be moved."

"Moved where?" Nikandros asked, a little alarmed, "Can't we leave once she is healed?"

"No, you may not leave until I decide that you aren't spies. So until I am convinced, you may not leave." Thranduil said, resuming his cold voice

"Please," Nikandros begged, "We are not spies! You can see that my wife actually needs healing. We just want to be on our way." Nikandros added, "Thank you for your help. We really do appreciate it, but now we want to be on our way."

Thranduil looked contemptuously at Nikandros, "You seem in a hurry to get out of here. You probably won't get out of here for months though." He smirked, "And nothing you can say will persuade me to let you go. Besides, you lied to me. You can't imagine how much I hate people who lie to me." He added icily.

Nikandros groaned inwardly, "I'm sorry for lying to you, but I didn't know if we could trust you." He said, forcing his voice to remain calm, "If you wish we can remain here, but at least let us have a more comfortable room." Involuntarily, Nikandros glanced around his stone cell.

Thranduil raised an eyebrow. "And why should I let you have a better living space? Although I can choose to be nice and grant your request, which I will consider, or I can decide that because you lied to me, I won't grant it. But it is my choice." Thranduil said coldly. In fact, he had already decided to give Nikandros and Thea a room so that they could be together, but he didn't want Nikandros to know that.

Nikandros sighed, "We've been through a lot. Please..." Nikandros trailed off.

"If you answer one question, I will give you a nicer room with your wife. But if I find that you lied to me, I will punish you, regardless of how much you plead with me. I might even kill your wife if you lie to me. So decide if it's worth it." Thranduil added icily. "Are you the assassins who tried to kill the crowned prince of Gondor?" When Nikandros looked into the king's eyes, he found that they were hard and merciless.

Nikandros almost screamed in frustration. After all they had been through he didn't think Thea and him could bear to go back to prison. But he didn't doubt that the elven king would carry out his threat if he lied. Slowly, he began, "We were sent out to do that, but," he added quickly, not giving Thranduil time to interject, "We failed and soon after found out our mistake in trying to kill him."

Before Thranduil could respond, a guard rushed forward, disturbing the conversation. He bowed hurriedly, "My lord, the human girl in the infirmary...she escaped and...well...we know she hasn't left the realm, but we can't find her." Breathing deeply, he stopped and looked to Thranduil for orders.

Thranduil rubbed his chin thoughtfully, then said to the guard, "Tell Tauriel to come here quickly, then go to the gate and warn the guards there that one of our prisoners has escaped, and if they see her, bring her to the healers' house. Now go."

"Yes, Your Majesty. Right away." The guard hurried off quickly to obey.

"Please, don't hurt her!" Nikandros begged the great Elven lord. Thranduil ignored him and walked a few paces away to wait for Tauriel.