Chapter Four

The next day was also uneventful and they made exceptionally good time. Just as the sun was setting on their second day out, they arrived before the gates of Gondor.

Thea glanced at Nikandros uncertainly before heading into the city. Nikandros' chest filled with anticipation and excitement, although he did not let it show. He glanced at Thea to see how she was feeling. Thea held a stoic expression. She guided her horse expertly and if Nikandros didn't know better, he would have thought her a very serious person.

Before long, they came upon the Stone Brick Inn. Thea turned to Nikandros, "Should we get a room here for the night?"

Nikandros hesitated, "Maybe. I don't want to attract attention, but I don't want to be trying so hard to be concealed that people notice."

"Well I think anywhere we go well attract some attention since we are strangers here." She reasoned, "Let's just try it out." Without waiting for an answer, Thea halted her horse and climbed off.

A young boy came out and greeted them, "Hello there. My name's Dansen. You must be look'n to stay here at this inn. Would you like me to bring your horses to the stable?"

Thea smiled and acted casual, "Hi Dansen, I'm Myquet." She lied.

Nikondros thought swiftly to come up with a name, "And I'm John." Silently, he kicked himself for not coming up with a better name. He handed his horse's reigns to Dansen, "Thank you very much."

Dansen took both horses and led them away, "You're welcome." He smiled.

Thea headed into the inn. Nikandros followed after her. As soon as they entered, they were hit with numerous sights and sounds. Between the babble of conversation and laughing, were other noises. Over all, it appeared very chaotic.

They chose a seat in the back corner of the room and waited for the server. "This place is really loud." Thea noticed. This was the first time she had been to an inn and everything felt strange to her. Nikandros nodded in agreement, all the while feeling overwhelmed. As the server passed, Nikandros addressed her, "We would like some food, please." He asked kindly.

"Sure. I'll just finish some other orders and bring ya something." She answered, a tray of food in her arms, "Do ya care what I bring?"

Nikandros glanced at Thea before answering, "Something hot for me." He flashed his charming smile.

She nodded, "Sounds good." The waitress sent him a smile. She looked to Thea, "And for you?"

"I'll have what you bring him." Thea responded.

"Okay. I'll be back soon." The waitress left off to serve the other tables.

Nikandros smiled at Thea, "Hot food sounds wonderful after a few days in the saddle."

"I can definitely agree to that." Thea exhaled and sank deeper into her chair.

Nikandros looked around, taking in the surroundings. "We should probably get a story going about why we are going to the castle." He said in an undertone.

"Yes..." Thea agreed, "what do you suggest?"

"Uh..." Nikandros hesitated, "um, maybe you are my sister and we are visiting relations?" He offered hopefully, "Or is that too generic?" He grinned.

"Well, how is that going to get us allowed into the the castle?" The girl asked.

Nikandros shrugged, "I don't know." He sighed, "Maybe we could be servants looking for work?"

"Do we really look like servants?" Thea sounded skeptical.

"Well," he started, thinking it through, "We could. We can buy different clothes."

"But then we won't have our weapons..." Thea raised an eyebrow.

"We could hide them." He threw his hands in the air, "Maybe we could be merchants. What do you suggest? Since you're in the mood to put down all of my ideas," he huffed, "You could suggest something." He glowered and slouched in his chair.

"Goodness...relax, little one. I was just saying that they might not work. You don't need to be so crabby!" She argued.

Nikandros straightened, "You seem to put down all of my ideas, so maybe you have some, child." He emphasized child.

"Fine then. What about we just sneak in tonight? Then we don't have to look any different and no one will know we were there." Thea reasoned, ignoring his annoyed tone.

"Well, I guess that would work, but if someone spotted us we would be in-" he cut off his words mid-sentence, "The server is coming." He explained in an undertone. Thea nodded.

"Here ya go." The server placed two plates of meat, bread, and cheese onto the table. "Anything else?"

"No. This is perfect. Thanks." Thea smiled, back in character.

Nikandros smiled his charming smiled once again, "Yes, thank you." The server blushed slightly before nodding and walking away.

Thea groaned quietly and rolled her eyes, "Oh my...I think I'm going to puke."

Nikandros grinned at Thea, "Whatever." He laughed quietly then he sobered and dug into the food. "This is amazing." He said through a mouthful.

Thea held back a laugh, "Wow, such a charmer and you have wonderful manners..." She said sarcastically.

Nikandros swallowed and grinned at her. "Seriously, Thea, this is amazing." He took another, smaller, bite.

Thea shrugged and took a bite of her own food. She froze, "...Wow...that is really good." She agreed, "Much better than what they serve back at camp."

Nikandros nodded, "Agreed."

After they had finished off their refreshing meal, Nikandros got a room for them.

When they were alone in their room, they finished discussing their plan.

"We definitely need to do it as soon as possible." Thea considered, "So maybe tonight?"

"Yes. We don't want to stay here too long. And we are going to sneak in?" Nikandros discussed.

"That seems like it might be the best option. I'm not a good actor anyway." Thea stood up and strapped her sword back to her belt, "Should we leave now then?"

Nikandros stood up, "I guess. Let's go." He started out the door. Thea followed after and they quickly headed to the castle.

Here's chapter four for you, my wonderful readers! If you enjoyed it, then please vote, comment, or follow:) thanks! <3

Writers:
Thea -- Ithildae
Nikandros -- Evara
Dansen -- Ithildae
Innkeeper -- Ithildae
Waitress -- Ithildae

Love,
Ithildae, Aris, and Evara (BananaBam03 )