Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Thea!" Nikandros cried and knelt hurriedly beside her. Grabbing clumsily for her wrist, he felt for a pulse. He felt a faint beat through her wrist. She was hanging on.

Suddenly, without opening her eyes she began to thrash about, her face scrunched up in pain. "Ulric help me hold her down!" Nikandros pleaded, and tried to restrain Thea.

Ulric strode briskly over and pinned Thea to the ground with his strong arms.

With the back of his hand, Nikandros felt Thea's forehead, checking for a fever. Thea didn't stop when Ulric held her tightly and her movements became faster. Her forehead dripped with sweat, indicating a high fever.

Hammond limped over and bent down, helping to hold Thea down. "Laddie, she's having a seizure..."

"Well then what do we do?!" Nikandros burst out, panicking.

Hammond looked up at him, slightly startled, "I-I...I'm not a doctor. I don't know. Maybe just try to calm her...?" He suggested.

Nikandros threw his hands up in the air, "I'll go look for some water." He said exasperatedly.

"No." Ulric spoke up, "You stay here with her."

Nikandros bowed his head, "Thank you." Ulric silently left the camp and began to search for a pond. In Thea's thrashing, Nikandros noticed something deep blue on her stomach through the rips of her dress. Nikandros' cheeks colored a little, "Ah...Hammond? Could you look away for a moment?"

Hammond raised an eyebrow, but agreed and turned away, "Okay..."

Nikandros ripped away part of Thea's dress and gave a startled gasp of surprise. Right by the band of her leggings was an unnatural color covering her stomach. A deep blue, almost like a large bruise, shaded her pale skin. Tears formed in Nikandros' eyes and fell freely onto the ground.

Ulric burst though the trees, "I have the-" his eyes bulged as he saw Thea's condition, "water." He finished weakly.

"Bring it here." Nikandros ordered, trying to be strong.

Ulric obeyed and Nikandos took the canteen from Ulric's hands that they had managed to grab in the chaos. Quickly and roughly, Nikandros ripped a price of fabric from his own tunic, dipping it into the water. Taking the wet rag, Nikandros dabbed at Thea's forehead. She calmed slightly and peeked open her eyes.

"Rest." Was all Nikandros could say through the lump in his throat.

"C-could I have some water?" She croaked, her throat dry.

"Can I turn around yet?" Hammond interrupted.

"Alright." Nikandros said to Hammond, and tipped the water canteen for Thea to drink. She eagerly accepted the refreshing liquid and nodded her head when she'd had enough.

Hammond turned back around and instantly his eyes widened, "Oh my..." He fell silent.

Nikandros took a deep breath, "Thea, how are you feeling?"

"I'm okay..." She lied, rubbing her eyes. Thea glanced down towards her stomach and her mouth fell open before she quickly snapped it shut.

"No. You're not okay, and Thea, I know that." Nikandros said gently, "Please just tell me where it hurts and how badly."

Thea groaned, "Everywhere...I don't mean to complain, but..." She trailed off, having a coughing fit. Leaning over into the dirt, she clutched her stomach, trying to relieve her lungs.

"Thea." Nikandros whispered, "My sweet, sweet Thea. I hate to see you like this." Thea wiped her mouth and took a shaky breathe. Nikandros stood up, "We need to go." He said, "If you can walk Hammond." He added.