Chapter Twenty-Three

"Sameil?" Nikandros called out softly.

Sameil was sitting by a fire with Hammond and the men. He looked over and raised an eyebrow in amusement before coming over, "Yes?"

Nikandros smiled slightly, "Could you keep an eye on Thea for me? I need to arrange a few things."

Sameil nodded, "Sure." He took Nikandros' place near her.

Nikandros nodded in satisfaction and walked around the camp looking for Ulric. He found him leaning against a tree, studying the ground intently, lost in thought.

"Ah," Nikandros called out, "Prince Ulric!"

Ulric's head jerked up. When he saw the assassin, he smiled slightly, "I hear I am to congratulate you!" His face broke out in a  grin.

Nikandros mirrored the grin, "Aye." He sobered slightly, "But I have a favor to ask."

Ulric raised an eyebrow, "Go on."

"Well," Nikandros started awkwardly, "I was wondering if you would marry Thea and I."

Ulric's eyes widened, "What? You want me..." he paused, "to marry you two?"

Nikandros nodded, "You rescued us, and gave up your home to do that. Would you?" He asked anxiously.

"Of course." Ulric exclaimed, "It would be an honor."

Nikandros nodded in satisfaction and smiled.

"When is the wedding?" Ulric asked.

"Day after tomorrow."

"Wow." was all Ulric could say. He would have precious little time to prepare.

"Alright. See you then." Nikandros nodded and then turned and walked away.

The next person Nikandros talked to was Hammond, "May I have a word with you, sir?" Nikandros asked.

"Sure. What is on your mind?" Hammond withheld a grin.

"Well," Nikandros started, "Is there any like extra cloth or something that I could get for cheap in this camp?"

"Why?"

"I would like to try and make Thea a new outfit." Nikandros shuffled his feet awkwardly, "I'm not very good at sewing, but I can try."

"Ah, I see." Hammond smirked slightly, "Well we don't have many things here besides necessities, but perhaps I could send someone to the nearby town."

"I don't think I can afford that." Nikandros looked down at his feet awkwardly.

"Don't worry about it, Lad. I gotcha covered." Hammond smirked his signature cocky smile.

"I couldn't accept that." Nikandros said quickly.

"Consider it a...wedding gift!"

Nikandros hesitated, "Are you sure?" He asked.

"Course!"

Nikandros smiled sincerely, "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." Hammond chuckled. "I'll go send Markis now."

Nikandros nodded, "One more thing. Can we hold the wedding here in the camp day after tomorrow?"

"Ya, I guess so." Hammond scanned the camp for Markis. He called him over when he found him.

Markis hurried over, "Yes, Hammond?" He asked cheerfully.

Hammond pointed to Nikandros, "This is Nikandros. He needs your help. Do as he asks." He didn't wait for an answer and walked away, leaving Nikandros and Markis alone.