Chapter Forty-Nine

Nikandros squeezed the horse he was riding slightly, and guided the horse with his knees towards Thea. She was farther up and didn't notice him when he rode up beside her. Her eyes were squeezed shut and she breathed laboriously.

"Thea?" Nikandros asked softly.

She turned her head to glance at him. "Yes?"

"You okay?"

"Just...peachy." Thea shot back.

Nikandros looked at her compassionately, "Sorry." He took no offense, knowing that her response was out of pain.

Thea shook her head, "No. I'm sorry. I'm being a jerk...again."

"It's okay. You're in a lot of pain." Nikandros smiled faintly, trying to encourage her.

She sent him a pained smile as well and went back to staring at her hands.

They rode on for quite some time at a steady pace until the sun had set. Darkness made it hard for them to ride on, so Legolas halted the group and they made a quick camp.

Legolas strode over to Thea and untied her hands from the saddle, beginning to lift her. She bit her lip as her foot brushed against the horse, but managed to stay silent.

After setting her on the ground and throwing a blanket over her, Legolas untied Nikandros' hands as well.

"Don't try anything." He warned as he watched Nikandros closely. Nikandros sighed quietly and said nothing. Legolas led Nikandros over to Thea and pointed to the ground, "Sit." He ordered. Nikandros complied, seeing there was nothing he could do. In turn, Legolas bound his feet and left.

Thea readjusted and cringed, "How is your back?"

Nikandros gave a quick smile, "It's great." Thea shot him a look that said she didn't believe what he said, but refrained from saying anything. Instead, she drew her gaze to her heavily bandaged foot, studying it intently.

Nikandros frowned, "Is your foot okay?"

"Not too bad." She answered quickly, only a hint of pain flashing across her eyes.

"Thea, I know when you're lying." He smiled faintly, "You're an open book." He joked, then became more serious, "Seriously, how bad is it?"

She sighed, purposefully making it incredibly loud and long, ending with a roll of her eyes. "Fine," she huffed, "It does hurt. But I'll be okay."

Nikandros sighed, "I suppose you'll have to."

She nodded slowly, feeling tired and overwhelmed. Thea looked off into the distance, her eyes becoming foggy. She blinked rapidly and a single tear slid down her cheek.

Guessing what she was thinking about, Nikandros felt there was no words to say, and just enveloped her in his arms, holding her tightly.

"Will you do something for me?" Thea whispered, still staring off at the darkness.

"Of course. Anything." Nikandros replied in the same tone.

"I-" Thea started, but stopped first to collect her thoughts, "I want you to escape. Without me."

Still, she didn't look at him.

"Thea!" Nikandros exclaimed, "That's the one thing I can't do." He paused and continued, "I couldn't live without you." He hesitated a moment, trying to fit his thoughts into words, "If I did escape, my life would be not worth living. You are the only joy I could ever have, and without you..." He trailed off.

"But there's no way I can go with you. Not with my foot..." She sobbed, "I know I'm being selfish...but I can't watch you die! I can't...I just can't..." She cried.

"Thea, I couldn't watch you die either. But living while knowing I left you would be worse." He held her tighter.

"But why should we both go if you could get away? Why, Nikandros! Listen to me, you have a chance! I have none."

Nikandros shook his head definitely, "I am. Not. Leaving. You. Maybe we should just tell the king what he wants to know." He said finally.

"Do you really think he will spare us if we tell him what he wanted to know? Because I think that it won't change our fate." Thea reasoned.

"Well then, I'll try to get you out of here."

"I can't walk! Don't be foolish, I'm not going anywhere...except to Gondor." Thea cupped Nikandros' cheek in her hand lightly, "Please, my love, go for me." She tried once more.

Nikandros met her gaze softly, "I can't." He said simply.

"Then we shall meet our fate together." Thea said resignedly.

They both fell silent, feeling very weighed down and forlorn. Thea threw her blanket over Nikandros as well and huddled up closer to him, leaning her head into his side. Together, they drifted off to sleep.

I have nothing left to say about this story. It is simply too too sad to say much more. But fear not! All hope is not lost! Now spread that love all!!!!

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris

Writers:
Thea--Ithildae
Nikandros--Evara
Legolas--Ithildae
Degore--Ithildae
Ulric--Evara